Edison, New Jersey (PRWEB) October 06, 2012
http://www.testedandproven.com/ -- The ASTM International Committee F02 annual meeting took place last week in Barcelona Spain. Patrick Nolan, president of DDL, Inc, was present and spoke on Sterile Medical Device Package Performance Testing and the Nebulous Effect of Vibration in Transit.
The ASTM website states that Committee F02 “develops consensus standards for flexible barrier packaging, including barrier materials, their properties and package design, development and products. Typical flexible barrier materials include papers, nonwovens, plastic films and metal foils.”
According to a previous ASTM press release, one of the highlights of this meeting included a review of the results of the recently completed interlaboratory study for the proposed Test Method for Detecting Leaks in Nonporous Packaging or Flexible Barrier Materials by Dye Penetration (ASTM WK25128). A discussion was also had regarding next steps. This new method is thought to provide an inexpensive but sensitive approach for assessing the integrity of nonporous materials.
The ongoing collaborative interlaboratory study being conducted for the comparison of three different but commonly used standard test methods on water vapor transmission rate was also discussed at this years meeting.
Other industry experts who spoke at this year’s Committee F02 meeting included;
- Future Trends in Permeation Measurements, presented by Franz Sturm, Lipke
- U.S. FDA Perspective: The Use of Standards in Premarket Submissions and Auditing the Medical Device Packaging Process, presented by Pat Weixel, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Microbial Barrier Test Methods for Porous Sterile Barrier Materials, presented by Thierry Wagner, DuPont Medical and Pharmaceutical Protection
- Toward a Package Durability Predictive Model, presented by Henk Blom, Rollprint Packaging Products
- Package Integrity: Methods of Detection, presented by Wendy Mach, Nelson Laboratories
- Use of Design Guide F2097 and U.S. FDA Recognition, Hal Miller, PACE Solutions LLC
- ASTM International: ASTM Mechanics and Overview, presented by Diane Trinsey, ASTM Committee F02 staff manager:
DDL is a third party testing facility that offers expert package testing, product testing and materials testing services. We have three full service labs in California, Minnesota and New Jersey offering services that include; shock testing, vibration testing, tensile testing, leak testing and validation services.
About ASTM Committee F02
ASTM Committee F02 on Flexible Barrier Packaging was formed in 1957. The Committee meets twice a year, in April and October, with approximately 45 members attending two days of technical meetings capped by presentations on relevant topics in the flexible barrier packaging industry. The Committee generally meets in conjunction with Committee D10 on Packaging. F02 has a current membership of about 150 and has jurisdiction of 54 standards, published in the Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Volume 15.10 and in the compilation entitled "Consumer and Healthcare Packaging Standards".