Americans are ready and willing to join forces in new ways for the greater good.
New York, NY (PRWEB) October 04, 2012
The #GivingTuesday movement today announced that the list of partner organizations, businesses and philanthropies helping to create a national day of giving on November 27, 2012 has reached 200. This achievement happened just two weeks after the initiative’s public launch, surpassing expectations of the founding partners and pointing to a growing nationwide movement. In an overwhelming show of support, 200 charities, universities, individuals and small and large businesses alike have all come together and pledged their support of the #GivingTuesday effort to change the way Americans think about giving.
The full list of #GivingTuesday partners is available here: http://givingtuesday.org/partners/
#GivingTuesday has put social media at the heart of its approach to building support and raising awareness about the power of giving. “Social Media Ambassadors” and partner organizations are calling for a national moment at the start of the holiday season dedicated to charity and giving back, similar to the way Black Friday and Cyber Monday have become days that are, today, synonymous with holiday shopping. #GivingTuesday aims to inspire people to take collaborative action to improve their local communities, give more, give better, and give in smarter ways to the charities and causes they care about.
“The tremendous response to #GivingTuesday – from individuals, businesses, and nonprofit organizations – reaffirms that Americans are ready and willing to join forces in new ways, across geographical and socio-economic boundaries, for the greater good,” said Sol Adler, executive director of 92nd Street Y, the cultural and community center in New York where the idea of #GivingTuesday was born.
The rapid growth of the #GivingTuesday partner community continues to drive creative ideas for giving around the holidays. Each day, as new organizations and businesses join the movement, new giving ideas are shared on the #GivingTuesday website. Here are just a few recent examples of how our partners are working with supporters, retailers and donors create their own #GivingTuesday plans:
● Skype announced that this year as part of its #GivingTuesday commitment, they will support Peace One Day, an organization devoted to promoting non-violence in all its forms and create united and sustainable world. Together they have launched the first-ever "Skype for Peace" crowd-funding campaign. All funds raised through this initiative will be used to expand the Peace One Day Global Education Resource to more teachers across the world so they can teach their children the value of non-violent conflict resolution. Donations can be made here and Skype has pledged to match every dollar of the first $100,000 donated. Skype and Peace One Day plan to announce the results of their efforts on #GivingTuesday.
● The U.S. Fund for UNICEF is offering holiday shoppers an array of holiday cards and gifts, as well as a lineup of exclusive products sold in partnership with top brands to benefit UNICEF’s lifesaving programs for children across the globe. For millions of children in developing countries, a gift purchased from UNICEF’s holiday collection on #GivingTuesday means supporting programs that improve and protect lives. Find out more at http://www.Unicefusa.org.
● Posterscope will work with their advertising partner Clear Channel Outdoor to help bring the #GivingTuesday to millions of Americans across the country by leveraging Clear Channel's Digital advertising network of nearly 1,000 digital billboards to invite people to give back to local charities and help support global causes.
● Arizona-based small business BeRelevant will host a special sale of their apparel and increase their donation percentage from 25% to 35% to men’s preventive testicular and prostate cancer organizations as part of their #GivingTuesday commitment.
● Virginia-based George Mason University is making a special call on its students, alumni, and community members to increase philanthropy and volunteer recruitment for its Early Identification Program on November 27. In collaboration with seven local public school systems, Mason's Early Identification Program provides access to educational resources for middle and high school students who will be the first in their families to attend a college or university.
Join the #GivingTuesday movement or read about other partner initiatives happening on or around Nov. 27, 2012, by visiting the #GivingTuesday website. Spread the word about the movement by using and following the #GivingTuesday hashtag, which will serve as a centralized hub to share why the movement matters, highlight successes and celebrate giving.
#GivingTuesday is endorsed by Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy, Dorothy A. Johnson Center on Philanthropy, Giving Institute, Giving USA Foundation and InterAction. Charity Navigator and GuideStar are serving as the movement’s charity advisors. VolunteerMatch is a volunteer advisor to #GivingTuesday.
#GivingTuesday is a movement to celebrate and provide incentives to give. It will culminate with a national day of giving on November 27, 2012. This first-of-its-kind effort harnesses the collective power of a unique blend of partners— charities, families, businesses and individuals—to transform how people think about, talk about and participate in the giving season.
#GivingTuesday will inspire people to take collaborative action to improve their local communities, give back in better, smarter ways to the charities and causes they celebrate and help create a better world. #GivingTuesday will harness the power of social media to create a national moment around the holidays that is dedicated to giving, similar to the way Black Friday and Cyber Monday have become days that are synonymous with holiday shopping.
A team of recognized experts and influencers, initially convened by leaders of 92nd Street Y and supported by a core group of founding partners, are spearheading this effort. Founding partners include United Nations Foundation, DonorsChoose.org, Mashable, Blackbaud, charity: water, GlobalGiving, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA), Kiva, Darden Restaurant Group, Groupon, Unilever and VentureThree Capital. Leaders in philanthropy, social media, innovative giving, grassroots organizing, marketing and communications are providing counsel and resources to help build this movement.
Bob Woodruff Foundation
City of Hope
Clear Channel Outdoor
Games for Change
KivaAmerican Red Cross
Pencils of Promise
Plant A Fish
The Case Foundation
The Financial Times
Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy
Dorothy A. Johnson Center on Philanthropy
Giving USA Foundation
To learn more about #GivingTuesday participants and activities or to join the celebration of giving, please visit:
Amy Freeland, Fenton, 303-882-6464, afreeland(at)fenton(dot)com