Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) November 01, 2012
Earlier this year, the family of a mesothelioma patient was awarded a $48 million verdict by a Los Angeles Superior Court jury after determining that Dow Chemical subsidiary Union Carbide Corp., Riverside Cement, CalPortland and others were responsible for the asbestos exposure that led to the patient's mesothelioma. This mesothelioma verdict is one of the largest in the nation in 2012 in California (Bobbie Izell, et al. v. Union Carbide Corp., et al., Los Angeles County, Case No. 4674). Baron and Budd mesothelioma lawyers John Langdoc and Christine Tamer represented the mesothelioma patient during the trial.
“The asbestos companies refused to admit that their products could cause cancer,” said mesothelioma attorney John Langdoc. “But documents used in this case said not only that their products caused cancer — but that they also spent millions of dollars to hide that fact.”
Union Carbide presented several paid expert witnesses during the six-week trial who argued that Union Carbide's asbestos –trade named “Calidria asbestos” – didn’t cause cancer. However, confidential internal documents revealed that Union Carbide staff physicians criticized the marketing and sales groups for telling customers its asbestos did not cause cancer.
Two other defendants in the case, Riverside Cement and CalPortland, also utilized expert witnesses to attest that the amount of asbestos released from their products was inconsequential. Quadrillions of fibers of asbestos, however, were scientifically revealed to be in bags of their construction products.
The jury assigned $18 million in punitive damages to Dow Chemical’s subsidiary Union Carbide for its corporate cover-up of the health risks of asbestos, even though all defendants were found to be responsible.
“The jury awarded punitive damages against Union Carbide of $1 million for each year that it continued to supply asbestos after a 1967 internal memo where the company admitted that asbestos caused cancer,” said mesothelioma lawyer John Langdoc.
For nearly 35 years, Baron and Budd has been a leader in meaningful mesothelioma litigation. Baron and Budd was one of the first law mesothelioma firms to fight back against the asbestos companies and continues to fight today. The firm has a long history of substantial mesothelioma verdicts, including a $11 million verdict in Dallas, TX, $17 million in Philadelphia, $20 million in San Francisco, $55 million verdict in El Paso and many others throughout the nation.
To learn more about the mesothelioma lawyers at Baron and Budd, call 1.866.855.1229 or visit the firm’s dedicated mesothelioma website Mesothelioma News. http://www.mesotheliomanews.com http://baronandbudd.com
ABOUT BARON & BUDD, P.C.
The national mesothelioma law firm of Baron & Budd, P.C. has been “Protecting What’s Right” for asbestos sufferers and their families for nearly 40 years. As one of the first law firms to successfully litigate an asbestos lawsuit, Baron & Budd continues to actively represent veterans, industry workers and others who are suffering as a result of exposure to asbestos. Contact Baron and Budd at 1.866.855.1229 for additional information on mesothelioma treatments, mesothelioma cancer doctors and treatment centers and mesothelioma attorneys. http://www.mesotheliomanews.com