Washington, DC (PRWEB) November 01, 2012
Atlantic Information Services, publisher of Specialty Pharmacy News and Drug Benefit News, are pleased to announce a Nov. 13 webinar, “Specialty Drug Management Across the Medical and Pharmacy Benefits.”
Payers have implemented a variety of approaches to managing specialty drugs, including shifting them all to the pharmacy benefit, managing them individually and managing them predominantly through the medical benefit. But with at least half of the specialty drug spend falling under the medical benefit, payers need to make sure they have some way to manage medical-side treatments. Managing specialty drugs across the medical and pharmacy benefits, if done correctly, can produce very significant cost savings. Without a one-size-fits-all solution to manage all of these drugs, though, health plans and large self-funded employers need to know how to make the most of their individual situations.
In presentations from Donna Paine, Pharm.D., clinical pharmacy specialist with Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island, and Gary Owens, M.D., a former vice president of medical management and policy at Independence Blue Cross, and president and founder of consulting organization Gary Owens Associates, webinar attendees will get answers to questions such as:
- How do payers ensure that the pharmacy benefit and the medical benefit are aligned in terms of medication coverage?
- How do payers make sure people receive coordinated care across the benefits?
- What are the financial, operational and clinical challenges that payers may face when managing drugs adjudicated under the medical benefit? What strategies can be used to counter these potential speed bumps?
- How can health plans measure and understand utilization and cost trends for medications accessed in a variety of settings, including physician offices and home infusion suites?
- What outcomes have health plans achieved from managing specialty drugs in the medical benefit?
- What are the implications for providers of managing the medical benefit? What kind of communication and education is needed to get them on board?
Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c2p38_111312 for more details on “Specialty Drug Management Across the Medical and Pharmacy Benefits” and registration information.
Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS) is a publishing and information company that has been serving the health care industry for more than 25 years. It develops highly targeted news, data and strategic information for managers in hospitals, health plans, medical group practices, pharmaceutical companies and other health care organizations. AIS products include print and electronic newsletters, websites, looseleafs, books, strategic reports, databases, webinars and conferences. Learn more at http://www.AISHealth.com.