Fort Lauderdale, Florida (PRWEB) November 01, 2012
Depression and anxiety can be a challenge to face any time of year, but many people find the holidays to be a particularly stressful time. Feelings of anxiety, stress, depression and generally feeling overwhelmed are common during the holiday season as we’re all pulled in many directions by holiday parties, visiting with loved ones, gift-buying and the frenzy of the season. Destination Hope: The Women’s Program, a nationally recognized substance abuse and mental health center located in Fort Lauderdale, Fla recommends these seven tools for dealing with depression and anxiety during the holidays.
1. Put together a game plan. The holidays are stressful and challenging for many people. Before Thanksgiving, put together a plan of action. Schedule out your responsibilities and activities so that you don’t leave things to the last minute.
2. Set realistic expectations. Life doesn’t follow a pre-determined path that you can control so don’t set yourself up for disappointment. Unrealistic expectations may be the highest cause for depression and anxiety during the holidays.
3. Forgive and Accept. There are probably things you have done this year that you wish you hadn’t and your friends and family feel the same way. Ask and offer forgiveness and accept that there are things you cannot change. Focus on what you can control and maintain a positive attitude.
4. Take Time for Yourself. It is easy to get swept up in the holiday spirit but remember to take time for yourself. Feelings of depression and anxiety often appear when we feel overwhelmed. Take even just one day to do something special for yourself or take time out of your regular routine.
5. Combat your loneliness. If you are separated from loved ones involve yourself with community activities. From volunteer opportunities to community concerts and ceremonies, the holidays are a great time to make new friends and meet new neighbors.
6. Don’t overspend. Money doesn’t buy happiness so set a budget for holiday spending and stick to it. There are tons of creative, inexpensive ways you can shower those you love with love. Remember, the gift of time is the single greatest gift you can give.
7. Get help. If you are feeling overwhelmed or experiencing depression and anxiety, get help. Your health is important and getting through the holiday season healthy and happy is the best gift you can give yourself and your loved ones.
It is not uncommon for people to feel the symptoms of depression and anxiety during the holidays. Stress can ruin the holiday season, but with some advanced planning and preparation you can help avoid feeling overwhelmed and focus on spending time with your loved ones.
Destination Hope: The Women’s Program is a full service addiction, drug, alcohol and dual diagnosis treatment facility in Florida for women suffering from substance abuse and mental health issues. Treatment programs include: drug rehab, alcohol rehab, outpatient rehab, dual diagnosis therapy, family therapy programs, prescription drug rehab aftercare and women’s health programs to treat depression, anxiety and eating disorders. Destination Hope and its partner program, Destination Hope: The Women’s Program, provide gender specific therapy in an intimate treatment environment. For more information on the center or substance abuse and addiction treatment, please go to http://www.womensdrugrehab.com.