“To retain or regain their competitiveness, manage their growth in a controlled way and provide better public services to the citizens, cities need to become smarter, more efficient and more livable”, stated Telvent’s Chairman and CEO, Ignacio Gonzalez.
Madrid, Spain (PRWEB) November 07, 2012
Telvent GIT, S.A., a leading real-time IT solutions and information provider for a sustainable world, is presenting today and over the course of the three-day Greencities & Sustainability Summit held in Malaga (Spain) its global IT solutions for Smart Cities. The Smart City offering, developed together with Schneider Electric, the global leader in energy management, provides cities with access to an integrated suite of solutions to improve the efficiency and sustainability of urban infrastructures, leading to more livable cities.
Cities today cover 2% of the earth’s surface, contain 50% of the world’s population, consume 75% of global energy and give off 80% of greenhouse gas emissions. And cities are growing.
“To retain or regain their attractiveness and competitiveness, manage their growth in a controlled way and provide better public services to the citizens, cities need to become smarter: more efficient, more sustainable, and more livable”, stated Telvent’s Chairman and CEO, Ignacio Gonzalez. “At Telvent and Schneider Electric, we help cities around the world such as Malaga meet these and future challenges through our IT solutions.”
In the city of Malaga, Telvent is developing a smart street lighting management system aimed at lowering CO2 emissions, expenditure on electricity and maintenance costs, and creating an inventory system to facilitate lighting management. Street and outdoor lighting systems are a significant source of electrical power consumption (representing 50-60% of the electrical power used by city councils). This tele-management tool will help identify potential lighting malfunctions, lower lighting intensity levels during off-peak hours and make sure that lighting systems are properly switched on and off. The solution will also be integrated into a demand control system in order to ensure electrical power grid stability and sustainability. These types of advancements and integrations are what enable cities to become more efficient, sustainable and livable environments as the product of technology.
The SmartCity Strategy
Telvent and Schneider Electric together provide integrated solutions combining state-of-the-art hardware, software, and services in all key areas of a Smart City: mobility, energy, water, public services, buildings and homes.
SmartCity is a unique offering that combines Schneider Electric and Telvent’s proven solutions for managing critical infrastructure, including:
- Smart Grid. As much as 15 percent of power can be lost in transmission due to inefficiencies in local power grids. Our Smart Grid solutions help cities to manage growing demand for electricity and integrate renewable energy sources while improving customer service through improved network efficiency and reduced energy consumption and emissions.
- Smart Mobility. Each year, drivers in cities around the world waste billions of gallons of fuel sitting in traffic. Our Smart Mobility offer improves resident mobility by providing cities with better information and improved interoperability as well as integration of electric vehicles. Solutions offer better management of multi-modal transit networks and fewer disruptions to service. Cities will also experience reduced traffic congestion, increased public transit use and lower emissions by providing residents with easier travel across modes of transport.
- Smart Water. Up to 35 percent of water is lost due to leaks and inefficient distribution networks, yet worldwide more than 1 billion people face water shortages. Our Smart Water solutions provide tools to help cities manage water networks more efficiently and offer them greater resiliency against hazards. Cities will benefit from reduced water losses and outages and improved customer service.
- Smart Public Services. The demands on city services are increasing, and our Smart Public Services offer helps cities to efficiently manage public safety, street lighting, healthcare and government administration. Cities will experience improved information-sharing between agencies, fewer disruptions to public services and increased control over city systems. Improved public services lead to higher quality of life for citizens, increasing the attractiveness of the city for jobs and talent.
- Smart Buildings and Homes. In Europe, nearly €300 billion in energy costs are lost each year due to inefficient buildings. Our Smart Buildings and Homes tools, including energy and environmental monitoring and visualization, help cities optimize resource consumption for office buildings, datacenters, industrial facilities, hospitals, universities and residential homes, resulting in reduced emissions and energy consumption and improved resident engagement. Our solutions connect buildings to the electric network and to each other, enabling the smart grid.
ABI Research, a market intelligence company specializing in global technology markets, selected Telvent as one of the companies with the best positions on the Smart City industry in the world, together with three other international companies, thanks to the holistic approach of its Smart City strategy.
The report predicts that companies embracing multiple aspects in their Smart City strategies, like Telvent and Schneider Electric, will be best positioned to compete to develop advanced systems that better control, monitor, and manage traffic flows in emerging megacities, one of the main challenges for public authorities today.
For more information on Telvent and Schneider Electric’s holistic approach to the “Smart City”, you can visit us in the Partner Area of the Exhibition taking place at the Palacio de Ferias y Congresos de Málaga, or visit this site: http://www.telvent.com/smartcities/index.cfm
Telvent is a global IT solutions and business information services provider dedicated to helping improve efficiency, safety and security for the world’s leading companies. Telvent serves markets that are critical to the sustainability of the planet, including the energy, transportation, agricultural and environmental sectors. (http://www.telvent.com)
About Schneider Electric
As a global specialist in energy management with operations in more than 100 countries, Schneider Electric offers integrated solutions across multiple market segments, including leadership positions in Utilities & Infrastructures, Industries & Machine Manufacturers, Non-residential Buildings, Data Centres & Networks and in Residential. Focused on making energy safe, reliable, efficient, productive and green, the Group’s 130,000 plus employees achieved sales of 22.4 billion euros in 2011, through an active commitment to help individuals and organizations make the most of their energy.