Washington, DC (PRWEB) November 09, 2012
Early next month, WPL Publishing will host a webinar to help construction professionals successfully navigate design-build projects.
The webinar is designed to give attendees the insight they need to determine what works and what does not work in design-build. Toward this end, event speaker and Capital Project Strategies LLC (CPS) President Mike Loulakis will review some of the important design-build case law from the past year. To register for the 90-minute webinar, scheduled for Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, at 1:00 p.m. (EST), visit http://tinyurl.com/b5ycvzv.
The promise of design-build has been shorter schedules with fewer disputes. In theory, having a contractor and designer on the same team should eliminate most construction disputes involving contract interpretation, design clarification, requests for information, and coordination as well as reduce disputes concerning differing site conditions and other matters. In addition, an owner should realize other benefits by having contractor input during the design stage, the elimination of the contractor-selection phase, and the ability to start construction before 100 percent design completion. Has the reality measured up? Is design-build the way to go? What are the caveats? Where are the crevasses and sinkholes?
During the webinar, entitled “Lessons Learned: Recent Developments in Design-Build Case Law,” Loulakis will help attendees learn the following:
- How to protect their positions if something goes wrong.
- Key responsibilities of owners in design-build.
- Specific risks and liabilities they need to guard against to protect themselves.
- Disputes that are specific to design-build and how such conflicts can be avoided.
- Types of design-build disputes, including those involving insurance, dispute-resolution clauses, contract ambiguities, and contract documents.
- How to manage major design-build risks, including those involving site conditions, preliminary design, performance versus design specifications, the shifting of standard-of-care boundaries and subcontractor issues.
- Issues they can expect to encounter as design-build and integrated project delivery evolve.
Prior to forming CPS, Mr. Loulakis practiced law for almost 30 years with the national construction law firm of Wickwire Gavin P.C. He has extensive and diverse experience in working with public owners on major infrastructure projects, particularly those projects delivered through design-build or public-private partnerships. He has authored several publications on design-build, including the Design-Build Lessons Learned series that he has written since 1995.
Following Mr. Loulakis’ presentation, there will be an interactive 10-to-15 minute question-and-answer session addressing relevant topics.
Webinar tuition is based on location, not number of participants, so each registration site can have multiple participants for one low price. To register, visit http://tinyurl.com/b5ycvzv.
WPL Publishing Co., Inc. provides expert training, education, and development resources for the construction industry via live webinars and its ConstructionPro Network website (http://www.ConstructionProNet.com). Through ConstructionPro Network, WPL publishes the independent newsletter ConstructionPro Week, providing news, analysis, and insightful commentary about recent developments involving construction law, green buildings, building information modeling, and various construction managerial technologies and techniques.