New York, New York (PRWEB) November 09, 2012
Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky and US Sailing announced six finalists for the Old Pulteney Maritime Heroes Award. The award sought out unsung heroes in sailing communities across the country making a significant contribution to the sport. The winner will be determined by public vote and recognized for their humanitarian efforts at an award ceremony in January during US Sailing’s 2013 National Sailing Programs Symposium in Clearwater Beach, Florida.
“This is the inaugural year for the Maritime Heroes Award and we were delighted to see the amount of people making a real difference in their sailing community,” said Amy Larkin, Marketing Director of US Sailing.
Each finalist was nominated by another member of their sailing community based on their charitable and selfless efforts. The top nominees were then carefully selected by Old Pulteney and US Sailing representatives. The finalists draw from different backgrounds as well as experiences and are as follows:
- Bruce Bertucci – Perth Amboy, NJ
- Bruce created the Perth Amboy High School Sailing Team and implemented the summer program which is open to all aspiring sailors regardless of their ability to pay.
- Chris German – Ashford, CT
- Chris founded Connecticut Community Boating in 2007 which gives inner-city and underprivileged children a chance to experience the sea.
- Donald Backe – Annapolis, MD
- Donald created the o, Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating organization and inspires the disabled to sail.
- Marcus Asante – Baltimore, MD
- Marcus brings the sport of sailing to the African American community and founded the Universal Sailing Club, bringing history and sailing education to African Americans.
- John O’Flaherty – Portsmouth, RI
- John brings the sport of sailing to children of all socio-economic backgrounds who would otherwise not have an opportunity to experience the sport.
- Rachael Miller – Granville, VT
- Rachael connects and educates people of all ages on the importance of locating and removing marine debris in order to maintain a clean, safe sailing environment.
“We are extremely impressed with the level of nominee submissions we received” said Pat Graney, President of International Beverage USA. “The six finalists demonstrate the exact characteristics we are looking for in the Old Pulteney Maritime Hero. We look forward to celebrating these unsung heroes in the sailing community as well as their own local communities.”
Old Pulteney has a long standing association with the sea and is the official scotch of US Sailing. Referred to as “The Maritime Malt,” Old Pulteney captures a nautical feel in each of its four distinct ages. Distilled in Wick, it is the most northerly distillery on the Scottish mainland. The award-winning single malt has received numerous accolades including Whisky Bible’s 2012 World Whisky of the Year Award, San Francisco World Spirits Competition’s Gold and Double Gold Medals and Beverage Testing Institute’s Gold Medals.
Friends and families are encouraged to vote for the finalists to give them the recognition they so greatly deserve. Public voting for the Old Pulteney Maritime Heroes Award will be open through December 16, 2012. For official rules please visit http://www.maritimeheroes.com.
About International Beverage
International Beverage, Inc. (http://www.interbevgroup.com) was established in 2005 as the international arm of ThaiBev, one of South East Asia’s leading alcohol beverage companies. With a network of regional offices in Asia, Europe and North America, the company is responsible for the production, sales, marketing and distribution of a portfolio of premium global brands in more than 80 countries and territories. The company’s success is built on a strong understanding of local cultures and markets along with the creation of a global operational network.
About US Sailing
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics. For more information, please visit http://www.ussailing.org.