Recruiter Poll: Candidates Receiving More Counter-offers Than a Year Ago

Share Article

According to a recent poll conducted by Top Echelon Network, an elite network of highly specialized search firms, the majority of recruiters indicated that candidates are receiving more counter-offers from companies than they were a year ago.

Top Echelon Communications Coordinator Matt Deutsch

According to Top Echelon Communications Coordinator Matt Deutsch, more companies are trying to hold onto their top employees with counter-offers.

This trend is not surprising, and it should continue throughout the rest of this year and well into 2013.

Another sign of a lack of qualified candidates in the marketplace is the number of counter-offers employees receive when they accept an offer of employment from another company.

If company officials know that they’re going to experience difficulty filling a particular position after an individual leaves, then they’ll do their best to make sure that person doesn’t leave—and one of the ways they do this is with a counter-offer.

According to a recent poll conducted by Top Echelon Network, an elite network of highly specialized search firms, the majority of recruiters indicated that candidates are receiving more counter-offers from companies than they were a year ago at this time.

As part of that poll, Top Echelon Network asked the following question: “Are candidates currently receiving more in the way of counter-offers than they were a year ago?”

A little more than 23% of recruiters participating in the poll chose “they’re receiving a lot more” as their answer,” while 35% of respondents selected “they’re receiving a little more.” Put those results together, and 58% of recruiters believe that candidates are receiving more counter-offers than they were a year ago (although to varying degrees).

Another 35% indicated that candidates are “receiving the same amount.” In addition, 5% chose “they’re receiving a little less” and 1.7% were of the opinion that candidates are “receiving a lot less” in terms of counter-offers.

According to Top Echelon Communications Coordinator Matt Deutsch, companies are loath to lose their best and brightest employees, especially companies working within an industry where candidates of that caliber are already scarce.

“High-quality employees and candidates are at a premium,” said Deutsch. “The problem is that many managers are so overworked that they can’t give their top employees the attention they crave. That leads those employees to seek greener pastures. Once they accept another employment offer, then their managers are scrambling to keep them, and the only weapon at their disposal is a counter-offer.

“This trend is not surprising, and it should continue throughout the rest of this year and well into 2013.”

Top Echelon Network was founded in 1988 in Canton, Ohio.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Matt Deutsch
Follow us on
Visit website