Portland, Ore. (PRWEB) November 22, 2012
Multnomah University has presented their 2012 Distinguished Young Alumni award to Charles and Florence Buregeya. Since their graduation from Multnomah, the Buregeya's have founded and remain deeply involved with Africa New Life ministries in Kigali, Rwanda. Through Africa New Life Ministries individuals can sponsor children providing them with education, school materials, uniforms, shoes and basic medical insurance, helping to break the cycle of poverty as they learn about the hope found in their Christian faith. They have also started a large library and Christian college.
Florence Buregeya graduated in 2003 with a Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies (MAPS) in Family Ministry. She is the founder of New Life Family Center, as well as all ministries to women through Africa New Life. She hosts an annual women's conference at New Life Bible Church in Kigali which attracts approximately 2,000 attendees.
Charles Buregeya graduated in 2002 with a Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies (MAPS) in Ministries Management. He is the lead Pastor of New Life Bible Church in Kigali, serving 1,000 people weekly. In addition to his role as President and Founder of Africa New Life, Charles is also the Co-Founder and Chairman of The Form of Born Again Churches in Rwanda (FOBACR). Established in 2004 and now recognized as one of about a dozen official religious organizations in Rwanda, FOBACR provides fellowship, moral accountability, evangelistic support, and political credibility for hundreds of emerging churches across the nation.
Sponsoring Children, Building Schools and Libraries
Having founded Africa New Life in 2001 with a small school serving 29 ponsored children, Charles and Florence have seen their ministry grow exponentially.
- Almost 5,000 children are currently sponsored and headed toward high school graduation and/or training in a marketable vocational skill.
- New Life Christian Academy serving primarily orphans and sponsored students in grades K-10 currently ranks first in testing for secondary grades, and second for primary grades within the Rwandan school system.
- Due to the success of New Life Christian Academy, the Rwandan government has asked Africa New Life ministries to manage three public schools where they serve 3,000 children.
- They were instrumental in working with students and faculty at Multnomah University to organize the largest theological library in Rwanda where Rwandans now manage a library with over 20,000 books cataloged.
- With demand for higher education and theology training on the rise, Africa New Life has launched Rwanda's first officially recognized theological higher education institution open to the public called Africa College of Theology and will enroll its first maximum of 50 students in January 2013.
About the Award
The Distinguished Young Alumni award honors a younger alum who embodies Christian values in their work, and personal life. Each year Multnomah University grants this special award in order to encourage and recognize alumni in their efforts to advance in their occupation and relationship with Christ. Alumni are encouraged to nominate those whom they feel exemplify the values and qualities Multnomah University upholds.
About Africa New Life
Since 2001, Africa New Life has shared the gospel using two hands: the hand of compassion helping to meet basic needs and give hope for the future to those living in poverty in Rwanda, and the hand of evangelism sharing the freedom and hope found in Christ. Africa New Life Ministries is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. To learn more about the history and current ministries of Africa New Life Rwanda, visit their website here.
About Multnomah University
Multnomah University is a fully accredited, private, non-denominational, Christian institution of higher education, located in Portland, Oregon with teaching sites in Reno, Nevada; Seattle, Washington; and Anchorage, Alaska. Made up of an undergraduate Bible college, a biblical seminary, a graduate school, an adult degree completion program, and an online distance-learning program, Multnomah issues bachelor's, master's, and doctorate degrees, and professional certifications and endorsements.