Shopping online is quick and convenient, but it also comes with great risk- James Varga
Edinburgh, UK (PRWEB UK) 23 November 2012
Reduce the risk of buying from individuals online with verified digital identities.
Online identity verification company miiCard today shared five helpful tips for safeguarding your identity when shopping from auction, listing or trading sites this holiday season. Consumers spent more than $37 billion online between November 1st and December 31, 2011 (comScore), and this year the National Retail Federadition (NRF) estimates that 147 million people plan to shop in store and online this Black Friday weekend. Online trading is increasing with more than half (51.8%) planning to shop online for gifts and other items this holiday season, up from 46.7 percent last year according to NRF.
“As we buy and trade more and higher-priced items online, we are at a greater risk for fraud. This is especially true when transacting directly with your peers online because it can sometimes be hard to know who you’re dealing with and there is often little or no recourse for fraudulent activity,” said James Varga, CEO of miiCard. “miiCard’s mission is to make the Internet a more trusted place by giving people a safe and secure way to build trust when transacting online through verified IDs.”
MIICARD’S FIVE TIPS FOR SAFE ONLINE SHOPPING FROM AUCTION, LISTING AND TRADING SITES:
1. DO YOUR RESEARCH: Take time to read site guidelines so that you understand how the site operates and your rights and obligations. This will help you set reasonable expectations and be prepared for any unexpected outcomes. Most important information and limitations are included in the terms of service.
2. REPUTATION IS IMPORTANT: Only buy or trade with reputable sellers. A valid profile, rating, transaction history and feedback can be just as important to a transaction as the actual product you are purchasing. Keep in mind that new sellers may not have as comprehensive a history so proceed with caution.
3. PLAY DETECTIVE: Be sure to research a site before purchasing. If an offer looks too good to be true, it probably is. Add the words “fraud” or “scam” to the business or product name in a Google search. If the seller has victimized someone, then it’s likely you’ll see it mentioned online. If doubts still persist, try to contact a seller directly. Poor spelling and grammar in emails can also be a tip that the business is not legitimate.
4. SECURE THAT TRANSACTION: You must ensure that the payment website is authentic and secure before entering any payment details. Always look for the padlock symbol in the browser window and that the URL begins with https:// - the ‘s’ stands for ‘secure.’
5. PAYMENT PROTECTION: Never use direct bank account transfers to buy an item through an auction, trade or listing site. Always use a secure payment option like PayPal or pay by credit card for added purchase protections, and be sure to know the protection threshold for your particular payment method.
“Shopping online is quick and convenient, but it also comes with great risk,” continued Mr. Varga. “Fraudsters can easily manipulate human tendencies to launch a scam and take advantage of you this holiday season. Remain vigilant and follow these common sense tips to help protect yourself.”
miiCard’s online identity verification service provides users with a way to prevent fraud through auction, trading and other peer-to-peer shopping sites. The ability to trace a verified ID extends trust online and delivers peace of mind when shopping online. To learn more about miiCard or to sign up for your own digital ID, please visit http://www.miicard.com.
miiCard is a global online identity verification service that allows a user to prove for the first time that “I am who I say I am” purely online and in real-time. miiCard empowers consumers to build trust on social networks, trade and transact easily and with confidence, and proactively manage their online identity. Vendors accepting miiCard as proof of online identity can increase conversions, reduce cost of execution and augment fraud and identity theft protection. miiCard currently supports the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and France.