San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) November 01, 2012
In California and throughout the United States, people always have the right to represent themselves and access the court system without a lawyer. For California residents, that right has been established in the California constitution, but self-representation has an even deeper history. In fact, the U.S. Supreme Court has observed that in regard to federal courts, the right to proceed, “pro se” was established in section 35 of the Judiciary Act of 1789.
So, to answer the question: Yes, in California grandparents can request visitation with their grandchildren without a child custody lawyer.
However, in practicality, trying to establish grandparents’ rights may not be a path to take. The goal is for grandparents’ rights lawyers to be viewed as trusted advisors.
- In fact, click right here to connect to California Grandparent Visitation Law. This is the actual California law that outlines who may petition the court for visitation with grandchildren and what must be shown to actually get time with grandchildren.
- There are many courts in California and without an attorney, it can be difficult to know which court would handle a case.
- In general, people need to petition the family court for the Superior Court.
- Each county has a different Superior Court. In San Francisco county, one would have to petition the Unified Family Court for the Superior Court of San Francisco county.
- For courts outside of San Francisco county, simply Google, “family court and Superior Court with the county name” to get the information needed.
- When addressing the court, one needs to know what to say. Remember, whenever one is dealing with Grandparent visitation, it’s imperative to show the court that they are focused on the best interests of the child.
To learn how the law applies to an individual case or if one needs help obtaining visitation with a grandchild, Heath-Newton LLP invites interested parties to consult with one of their grandparents’ rights attorneys. Email info(at)heathnewton.com or call 415-398-1290. Heath-Newton LLP looks forward to helping people with their visitation rights.
About the company:
Heath-Newton LLP specializes in family law, asset protection and estate planning services. Based in San Francisco, their boutique firm has earned a reputation for managing their clients’ cases well, reaching successful resolutions — and minimizing costs and disruption to their clients’ lives.
They have handled a long list of family-law cases, including a broad range of issues facing new families (such as domestic partnerships, premarital agreements, adoption and more), as well as divorce, asset division, child custody and child and spouse support. They also have extensive experience in estate planning, wills, probate, mediation, living wills and trusts.
Collectively, their attorneys have thousands of hours of experience, allowing them to be both efficient and effective. They are guided by a practical approach that emphasizes avoiding litigation to minimize costs and disruption; however, they can and will be fierce litigators when all other strategies have proven ineffective. For more information visit their website at http://www.heathnewton.com. To discuss a situation with one of their attorneys, please call them at (415) 398-1290.