baggage also need time to be transferred
Kent (PRWEB UK) 2 December 2012
It is a really awful feeling to be the last person standing waiting around at the conveyor belt for your luggage to arrive and it never does. This scenario is upsetting and it is very time consuming to get sorted. A few preventive measures can be put into action to try and prevent this occurring. Always keep in mind that the bag handling system is no where near perfect and anything can go wrong-so prepare.
- Remove any old labels or tags from other flights from suitcases and bags. This is a common mistake. Labels can be incorrectly read in the luggage area behind the check-in counter and so end up being loaded on the incorrect flight.
- Labelling luggage inside and outside with name , phone number and these days you can use email addresses-DO NOT USE YOUR PHYSICAL ADDRESS , this only opens up your home to crime. Tags get torn off during handling. Try using the microchip tags that are now available.
- Get to check out on time to be sure the bag/s get on the plane. Checking in too late may cause your luggage to be left behind and so you may arrive at your destination without the bags. Luggage handlers do need time to process the item and get it loaded on the plane.
- Where possible, use carry- on luggage. This is a certain way to prevent luggage going astray; have it with you on the plane. However, if checking in other bags-keep a few necessary item of clothing in the carry-on bag to be on the safe side.
- Always double check at the counter that the correct flight number has been placed on the tag-This is a common human error and it is always worth taking that second glance to be certain.
- Always give enough time for flight transfers as baggage also need time to be transferred. Sometimes, you will have to claim baggage and check-in again for the next flight, so allow ample time for these transitions.
- One out-of-box-idea you can do-but it works. If you do have somewhere and someone reliable to receive your suitcase at the destination-try shipping it ahead of your trip with a courier. It quite often works out cheaper with overnight couriers than to pay for excess baggage fees. You can then wrap the case in plastic or strap it safely too. Or an option is to use a service that picks up luggage and delivers to given destination- this option can be costly but worth it for peace of mind.
- Take photos of the bags being used-if lost it is then easier to identify and process a claim faster.
Lost, damaged, stolen or delayed luggage remains an issue for passengers and airlines, though more plans are in place these days to help prevent it happening as often. Passengers still incur cost and big inconveniences despite the small fraction of bags that are lost or misplaced.
If you like our posting, just drop us a line as we would love to hear from you.
Luggage Superstore’s established site is in West Kingsdown, Kent. Their aim is providing competitive prices of the highest quality luggage and top calibre Customer Service for online luggage shopping.