On average, 260 home fires begin with Christmas trees each year, resulting in 12 deaths, 24 injuries and $16.4 million in property damage.
Chesterfield, MO (PRWEB) December 05, 2012
Missouri insurance agency, ABS Insurance Agency, reminds Missouri residents of the potential danger of their holiday decorations. Homeowners in the Missouri community may be excited to start spreading holiday cheer, but it is important that all are aware of the potential consequences if the proper precautions are not taken.
“On average, 260 home fires begin with Christmas trees each year, resulting in 12 deaths, 24 injuries and $16.4 million in property damage,” according to Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI). Additionally, another 150 home fires per year begin with holiday lights and other decorative lighting, resulting in another 8 deaths, 16 injuries and $8.9 million in property damage. With such statistics, it is important that homeowners do all they can to avoid such a scenario during the holiday season.
ABS Insurance Agency would like to point out a few safety tips that could help reduce the risk of such incidents, including:
- Purchase an artificial tree with the label “Fire Resistant.”
- Keep holiday trees at least three feet away from heat sources (heaters, fireplace, candles, etc.)
- Keep live trees watered and fresh to keep them from drying up.
- Always check holiday lights for damages before use (broken bulbs, cracks, frayed cord, etc.)
- Never use lights on an electric tree.
- Never use candles on a live or artificial tree.
- Before using holiday lights outdoors, always check the label to make sure they are certified for outside use.
- Avoid overloading wall sockets.
ABS Insurance Agency hopes Missouri residents follow the tips and advice outlined above for a much safer and merrier holiday season. In the event that something unexpected happens, the agents at ABS Insurance Agency will be available to provide the proper coverage and assist in filing Missouri home insurance claims. Residents interested in learning more should contact the agency.
About ABS Insurance Agency:
Proudly located in Chesterfield, Missouri, ABS Insurance Agency is your premier local insurance agency; dedicated to serving the insurance needs of area individuals, families and businesses. As a well established agency, ABS Insurance Agency has grown to be one of the most trusted Missouri insurance companies in the area. The agency represents various nationwide insurance carriers, enabling its dedicated agents to effectively compare rates and coverage to ensure you receive the quality protection you deserve. With a broad network of providers ABS Insurance Agency can secure superior Missouri insurance for all of your coverage needs!