The goal is to utilize the gatekeeper as your “springboard” into the account.
Greensboro, NC (PRWEB) December 07, 2012
Gatekeepers are not obstacles to overcome; rather, they are potential allies. Sales professionals who form alliances with gatekeepers often reap rewards for doing so, and the process is quick and painless. Here’s how:
1. Make a connection. Too often, Gatekeepers get the message: “I’m a low person on the totem pole. I’m neither valuable nor relevant.” Conversely, the gatekeeper treated with dignity and respect feels appreciated, and becomes an invaluable asset.
2. Bring quality and substance to the table. Utilize your industry contacts (“We work with these folks that you already know…”) and provide documentation (research, white papers, etc.) for the gatekeeper to pass along.
3. Build relationships by building rapport. Get the gatekeeper’s name and follow up with a phone call. A personalized follow-up will distinguish you from the crowd.
4. Don’t sell the gatekeeper. That is not the goal. The goal is to utilize the gatekeeper as your “springboard” into the account.
5. Practice, practice, practice. Salespeople can role-play with gatekeepers of various styles and, with practice, learn how to handle them all.
*Resolution Systems Inc. provides sales assessments and training, as well as sales management training and coaching. RSI has helped hundreds of clients increase sales, improve team performance, and hire salespeople more effectively.