(PRWEB) December 13, 2012
3GP and 3G2 files share similarities since they are both a video file type established by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project. The 3GPP is a collaborative association of telecommunications organizations for the purpose of defining the standards for 3G wireless networks and mobile phone systems.
File extension 3GP is a format which is used to transmit multimedia files over a 3G mobile wireless network. The file format is based on the MPEG-4 (Moving Picture Experts Group) standard which originates from QuickTime by Apple. 3GP is used by mobile phones that support video transmission.
File extension 3G2 is an updated format from the 3GP file extension. It functions in the same way as 3GP only it is an updated version for the creation, delivery, and playback of 3GPP standard multimedia files.
File Extension 3GP and 3G2 Software
The most common software applications which are used to open file extension 3GP and 3G2 are Windows Media Player for the Windows operating system and Apple QuickTime Player for Mac OS X. Windows can also use the Windows version of Apple QuickTime Player to open these files.
Other software applications that will open file extension 3G2 and 3GP include:
- RealNetworks RealPlayer: RealPlayer is a multiplatform media player that will open and play 3GP and 3G2 file formats. RealPlayer is available for download on the RealNetworks website and is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and the Linux operating system.
- VideoStudio Pro X5: This is a media application produced by Corel that can be used to open and edit 3GP and 3G2 files. VideoStudio Pro X5 is available in a trial version on the Corel website and is compatible with the Windows operating system.
- PowerDirector 11: CyberLink Power Director 11 is an application that can be used to create professional looking home videos. The application is capable of opening both file extensions and is compatible with the Windows operating system. PowerDirector 11 is available in an unpaid trial version on the CyberLink website.
- VLC Media Player: VLC Media Player is a multiplatform application that will open and play 3GP and 3G2 files. VLC Media Player is open source and is available on the VideoLAN website. VLC Media Player with Windows, Mac OS X, or the Linux operating system can also be used.
- Zoom Player 8: Zoom Player 8 is a media player by Immatrix that allows opening and playing multimedia files, including 3GP and 3G2. Zoom Player 8 is compatible with Windows and is available in both a free and paid version on the Immatrix website.
- Roxio: File extension 3GP and 3G2 can be opened using Roxio which provides a version for both the Windows operating system and Mac OS X. For a Windows-based PC, Roxio Creator NXT Pro can be used. It is an audio enhancement application available as a paid download on the Roxio website. For Mac OS X, Roxio Popcorn 4 or Roxio Toast 11 can be used.
There are other multiplatform and open source software applications which will open and playback 3GP and 3G2 files. The files can also be converted to another format for use with a compatible media player. Further details about software which opens different files as well as 3GP and 3G2 can be found in the file extension database.