With just a small amount of extra planning and precaution, business owners can head into this holiday season with less fear.
Portland, ME (PRWEB) December 12, 2012
Last month, a man entered a bank in Portland and allegedly demanded an undisclosed amount of cash and fled the scene. Fortunately, an alert cab driver with a clear description of the perpetrator tipped police which led to the arrest of the suspect in Ohio within 48 hours of the robbery.
Unfortunately, this is the time of the year when businesses may find themselves hearing more and more about robberies at local businesses.
While business robberies do occur, the Maine insurance agents at Clark Insurance encourage local businesses to be prepared this season in order to prevent being victimized by a robbery. With just a small amount of extra planning and precaution, business owners can head into this holiday season with less fear.
Here are some things that can prevent business robbery:
- During opening and closing time, have at least two employees working.
- Avoid keeping a large amount of cash in the register.
- Greet customers as they enter- this makes for a well-aware business owner.
- Have an internal plan of action in the event your store is being cased
- Have at least two people on deck during store opening and closing
- Check the security of the show windows and frames
- Check the Closed Circuit TV system to make sure the cameras are focused on the sales floor as well as install cameras outside to be aware of what is going on at all times.
- Make sure your inventory values are in line with your insurance policy limits
- Keep clear records of all purchases, sales and memos
- Be sure to verify all credit card purchases
- Be vigilant when a group of people walk in to avoid theft or vandalism caused by distraction
- Keep the property clean and well-lit. This will keep robbers from believing they can rob the premises.
- Have a silent alarm system put in – this way, if someone unwanted does enter, the police can be notified.
Despite preparation, sometimes, business robberies do occur. If this is the case, remain calm and try to take mental note of the physical description of the robber to alert the police. Keep safety a priority at all times and cooperate to avoid any increased danger to store employees or customers. Always remember that with adequate and comprehensive business insurance in Maine, businesses can be compensated losses due to theft and crime.
All Maine business owners are encouraged to call Clark Insurance with any questions about business insurance. The insurance agents at Clark Insurance are ready to help Maine and New Hampshire businesses, today.
About Clark Insurance:
Clark Insurance, an employee-owned company, was founded in 1931 and currently ranks as one of the top 5% agencies in the nation according to the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers Association of America. The agency has offices in Portland, Saco, Windham and Manchester (NH) and their business, health, personal, life and employee benefits agents are of the finest in the field. Clark Insurance works to maintain their reputation for knowledge and superior service. The agents understand the local Maine community and are ready to serve.