Ft. Lauderdale, FL (PRWEB) December 18, 2012
Most people have heard the advice, “Don’t feed your dog chocolate.” As the average human is more often curious than not, they think to themselves, if humans can eat chocolate, why can’t dogs? Many pet owners hear this advice and choose listen to it, even if they aren’t sure of the reasoning behind it. Naturecast Pets revisits a study from Animal Planet as to why chocolate is indeed so deadly to dogs.
Naturecast Pets Products issues a new advisory to warn pet owners about the lastest scientific data regarding the risk of chocolate to dogs.The editorial team at Naturecast Pets did some research after continuously getting asked, "Why no chocolate?" from readers. What we found out is there is a chemical in chocolate called theobromine that is toxic to dogs when ingested. Some wonder why humans can eat this chemical, but dogs can’t. Well think of it this way, would a human ever be able to run around in the snow barefoot for hours? Never. However, a dog could easily run around in the snow without any physical pain, that is just one of the examples as to why humans and dogs are adaptive to different things.
Theobromine is a form of caffeine, and when a dog has too much of it, they could have serious side affects, which ultimately might result in death. To make it a bit more clearly as to how much of this chemical would be deadly for a dog, Animal Planet explains this in their study:
“It would take 20 ounces of milk chocolate to kill a 20-pound dog, but only 2 ounces of baker's chocolate or 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate.”
With the holidays coming up around the corner, everyone should be taking the extra precaution to keep their candy, chocolate and other goodies out of the way so dogs and other household pets can’t get into it. To see other ways to help prevent illness for pets around the holidays, here is a great list from Naturecast Pets on how to keep furry friends safe and out of harms way.