The last thing to worry about in a survival situation is weight watching. Canned foods have the calories people need in that type of circumstance.
Nashville, Tenn. (PRWEB) December 13, 2012
Stockpiling freeze-dried and dehydrated foods is a great way to prepare for an emergency. Stored properly, they will last a significant length of time. The problem for many people during tough economic times, however, is that they barely have enough money to feed themselves and their families, let alone stock up on freeze-dried and dehydrated foods that can be expensive.
As a more economical alternative, Power4Patriots recommends putting together a supply of canned foods. Many of the same foods that people eat on a regular basis are available in canned form, including vegetables, soups, meats, fish, stews, beans, pasta and many more. Canned foods can be nutritious and rich in protein, which people will need for keeping up their strength when they’re dealing with a crisis situation.
Power4Patriots – known for helping people slash their high power bills and stay out of the dark when power outages occur – has released its Top 7 Reasons to Include Canned Foods in a Survival Stash.
1. Price. If bought in bulk, one can save 75 percent by acquiring most canned foods instead of freeze-dried or dehydrated foods.
2. Long Lasting. Many canned foods have a shelf life of between one and several years.
3. Variety. People will eat the same thing over and over again if they’re hungry enough, but everyone appreciates having choices.
4. Calories. The last thing to worry about in a survival situation is weight watching. Canned foods have the calories people need in that type of circumstance.
5. Water. There’s very little water in freeze-dried and dehydrated foods, but most canned foods contain the water that will make preparation easier.
6. Familiarity. Most families normally eat foods such as chicken, beef, ham, fish, vegetables, stews, beans and pasta, all of which are available in canned form, plus many more.
7. Safe storage. Bugs and rodents can sometimes infiltrate boxes and bags, but seldom do they break through a can.
Power4Patriots is a collection of videos and manuals describing how to build solar panels, wind turbines, water heaters and solar heaters. The system includes six videos demonstrating how to build a solar panel, including choosing the right materials, finding the right site for the system and avoiding costly mistakes, as well as two instruction manuals with step-by-step, illustrated directions. It also includes four videos and two instruction manuals detailing how to build a wind turbine.
Most canned foods have plenty of nutrients, but MREs (Meals Ready to Eat), well, not so much. Check out this Power4Patriots blog to learn why not to eat MREs.