Holiday trees, for example, are involved in hundreds of fires, resulting in $13 million dollars in property damage annually, according to the CPSC.
Houston, TX (PRWEB) December 13, 2012
Each year, during the two months surrounding the holiday season, more than 14,000 people are treated in hospital emergency rooms due to injuries related to holiday décor, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Noltensmeyer Insurance Services, a Texas insurance agency, is here to remind Texas residents about holiday decoration safety.
Pretty lights, candles and tinsel may look wonderful around the neighborhood and at home, but without caution, such decorations may not end up being so wonderful. Accidents, injuries and property damage may result without the proper caution!
Holiday trees, for example, are involved in hundreds of fires, resulting in $13 million dollars in property damage annually, according to the CPSC. Candle-related fires are even worse, averaging more than 12,000 incidents a year with about $393 million in property damage. These statistics are quite alarming, especially around the most wonderful time of year.
To ensure a safe season in the state of Texas, Noltensmeyer Insurance Services has put together a quick list of holiday decoration safety tips. Residents should be aware of the following:
- Tinsel is a choking hazard. Homeowners with pets or small children should pass on this holiday décor.
- Artificial trees with the label “fire resistant” can STILL catch fire. Keep trees, real or fake, at least 3 feet away from heat sources (fireplace, heater, candles, etc.)
- Real trees are more prone to catch fire while dry. Homeowners should keep the tree watered and healthy.
- Strings of lights, whether new or old, should always be checked for damages. Look for frayed cords, broken bulbs, cracked sockets, bare wires, etc.
- Not all lights are for use outdoors. Always double check the label.
- Metallic trees should NEVER be decorated with electric lights.
Noltensmeyer Insurance Services is devoted to taking care of the Texas community, no matter what time of year. To learn more about the insurance services that the agency can provide, residents should not hesitate to contact its agents. Now may be a good time to check on Texas home insurance or even Texas renters insurance policies. The last thing anyone needs around the holidays is to be filing a claim and falling short on coverage.
About Noltensmeyer Insurance Services:
Located in the heart of Houston, Noltensmeyer Insurance Services is proud to serve the entire state of Texas. The agency continually offers quality coverage and superior customer service while offering low rates. The 20 agents that comprise Noltensmeyer Insurance Services, LLC write auto, home, commercial and health insurance policies. The agency’s staff is divided into teams to help assist its clients who have specific insurance needs.