(PRWEB UK) 19 December 2012
Over three quarters (78%) of temporary workers said the main benefit of a temporary contract was increased flexibility, according to a recent survey from Hays, the leading recruiting experts. Greater independence (71%) and the ability to learn new skills and not having to commit to a permanent role (61%) were also considered a major benefit of temporary contracts. Encouragingly, a third of workers said temporary work had become more attractive since the recession.
The survey of over 500 temporary employees revealed that nearly a third (30%) specifically chose a temporary contract over a permanent role. Interestingly, just under a fifth (18%) said the main reason they did so was to avoid office politics while 15% said temporary contracts offer a better work life balance and the flexibility to pick and choose work. One in ten (11%) said pay was better for temporary roles.
Nigel Heap, Managing Director of Hays UK & Ireland, says, “There has been a definite shift in attitudes in regards to temporary contracts over the last few years, with nearly a third (32%) of employees saying they have seen an improvement in the type of temporary work on offer since the recession. For professionals looking for the much valued but often elusive benefits of flexible working and the ability to develop new skills and experience temporary contracts can offer a real alternative in a competitive jobs market.”
The survey also found that nearly half (42%) of employers said temporary staff are essential to their business success and over three quarters (79%) said their use of temporary workers in the last 12 months had either increased or stayed the same. Employers primarily looked to temporary staff for support during busy times (32%) and a significant number also used them to access specific skills and experience (14%) which might go some way to explaining why 13% used temporary staff to overcome a shortage of suitable permanent candidates.
To access permanent and temporary jobs visit http://www.hays.co.uk
About the survey
The Hays Flexible Workforce survey received over 590 responses from jobseekers and 335 responses from employers in the UK between the 15th October and 7th November 2012.
Hays plc (the "Group") is a leading global professional recruiting group. The Group is the expert at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America. The Group operates across the private and public sectors, dealing in permanent positions, contract roles and temporary assignments. As at 30 June 2012 the Group employed 7,800 staff operating from 245 offices in 33 countries across 20 specialisms. For the year ended 30 June 2012:
– the Group reported net fees of £734 million and operating profit (pre-exceptional items) of £128 million;
– the Group placed around 55,000 candidates into permanent jobs and around 182,000 people into temporary assignments;
– 33% of Group net fees were generated in Asia Pacific, 36% in Continental Europe & RoW (CERoW) and 31% in the United Kingdom & Ireland;
– the temporary placement business represented 56% of net fees and the permanent placement business represented 44% of net fees;
– Hays operates in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, the UK and the USA
For further press information please contact:
T. 020 7200 3760