Many people hit the road in the wintertime to visit friends and family for the holidays. But driving in inclement weather can pose serious safety hazards, especially during long trips.
Lincoln, RI (PRWEB) December 18, 2012
Winter weather can arrive at a moment’s notice, bringing snow and ice to roads and highways. That’s why Amica Insurance is offering some tips to help make traveling safer this time of year.
“Many people hit the road in the wintertime to visit friends and family for the holidays,” said Lisa DeCubellis, a senior assistant vice president with Amica Insurance. “But driving in inclement weather can pose serious safety hazards, especially during long trips.”
Car accidents account for 70 percent of the injuries stemming from snow and ice, according to a report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Amica Insurance is helping you stay prepared on the road with these tips from NOAA:
- Make sure to have an emergency kit in your vehicle, which should include first-aid supplies, a flashlight and batteries, a blanket, nonperishable food and water, jumper cables and a cellphone charger.
- Before heading out, check the tread on your tires, and be sure to see that your spare tire is properly inflated in the event that you need to use it.
- Don’t let the fuel level get too low while driving. Even if you’re not in immediate danger of running out of gas, it’s best to drive with a full tank in case of an emergency.
- Avoid traveling by yourself.
- Keep everyone aware of your timetable, as well as the primary route you’ll be taking during your travels.
“If at all possible, hold off on driving until conditions improve,” DeCubellis said. “But if you simply can’t wait, stay alert when you get behind the wheel.”
Those involved in a car accident are encouraged to use Amica Insurance’s Auto Accident Checklist, which can be found at http://www.amica.com/customer_service/accidentChecklist.html.
About Amica Mutual Insurance Co.
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,100 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way, Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.