New York (PRWEB) December 20, 2012
As the amount and scope of scientific literature continues to grow, researchers' abilities to keep up with the latest work in their own fields -- much less fields outside their primary areas of interest -- are being taxed, creating the need for new outlets that aggregate information in a clear and sensible manner.
Providing such an outlet when it comes to methods and techniques is the goal behind the new BioTechniques Digital Spotlight series premiering this month. This free, online-only compilation will be dedicated every month to a specific methodological topic, providing a ‘one-stop’ location for scientists in which to find the latest news, tips, and techniques behind many of the critical methods driving life science research.
Each digital spotlight issue features insights from the editors, the latest news and events, a special troubleshooting Q&A column, a collection of peer-reviewed content, and much more.
The first BioTechniques Digital Spotlight issue will focuses on the critically important topic of Transfection, and includes the following articles:
- “Transfection: The inside story”
- “A sticky situation mimicking cell adhesion”
- “Behavior management”
- “Troubleshooting: Retroviral transfection”
- High efficiency transfection of neural stem cells with magnetofection
- High efficiency transfection of suspension cell lines
- A system for the measurement of gene targeting efficiency in human cell lines using an antibiotic resistance-GFP fusion gene
- Prostaglandin E2 supports the growth of chicken embryo intestinal organiods in Matrigel matrix
- Hepatitis C genotype 1a replicon improved through introduction of fitness mutations
The Transfection digital issue will be followed in the coming months by other topics including: PCR, Cell Culture, Microscopy, Next-gen Sequencing, Stem Cells, and MicroRNAs.
The December 2012 issue of BioTechniques is also available today with articles on:
- Direct sequencing of small genomes on the Pacific Biosciences RS without library preparation – the first description of sequencing on the Pacific Biosciences platform without the need for tedious library preparation.
- cDNA normalization by hydroxyapatite chromatography to enrich transcriptome diversity in RNA-seq applications – a novel method to enhance diversity, and therefore the impact, of RNA sequencing studies.
- Quality control in multi-tag pyrosequencing of microbial communities
- “Tech News - Pimp my spec!”
Also included is a special focus section covering Genome Engineering methods and applications with a news article examining how and why synthetic genetic circuits are being designed, and a research article describing a new approach in directed evolution of nucleotide-based libraries using lambda exonuclease.
View the Transfection digital edition at http://content.yudu.com/A1zv5s/BTNSSTransfection
View the BioTechniques December 2012 digital edition at http://content.yudu.com/A1vnyx/Dec2012
BioTechniques, the international journal of life science methods, provides open access to first-quality, peer-reviewed papers on laboratory techniques and protocols. Now in its 53rd volume, BioTechniques has over 80,000 print subscribers worldwide. The journal augments its peer-reviewed content with feature articles and topic-specific supplements.
Visit http://www.biotechniques.com for more details or to subscribe.