We could feel the impact of Saturday’s volunteer day...
Dallas, TX (PRWEB) December 24, 2012
On Saturday, December 15, employees from Fidelity Investments volunteered at five Educational First Steps assisted centers, painting, caring for playgrounds and re-purposing rooms for greater efficiency and educational space. They also assembled a great deal of toys and materials donated by Fidelity that will both improve the physical environment of the classrooms and enhance the educational experience of the children. The donations were specific to each center, carefully determined based upon each center’s needs, desires and the best interest of the students and center staff members. Parents and children of the neighborhoods and Fidelity volunteers worked alongside one another, making Saturday’s efforts true community events.
- Repainting all of the classrooms at Hope Christian Academy, as well as donating educational rugs and new window blinds for installation in each classroom.
- Assembling a storage shed for children's playground equipment and moving furnishings to the new Just For Kidz center campus. Newly purchased ride-on toys were assembled, as were child-sized foldable picnic tables and playhouses.
- Mulching the entire playground at Communidad Child Care Center, while repainting the cemented playground area and swing set. Five new ride-on toys were provided as well, and the volunteers installed a gate and assembled a playhouse donated by Fidelity.
- Assembling a new storage shed at American Care Academy, allowing the prior indoor storage area to become a computer lab. The playground was re-mulched and a plot prepared for an outdoor garden.
- Painting a tricycle track in the center's large empty concrete area at Tonae's 24hr Child Care and providing paint for an outdoor hopscotch center. Fidelity also equipped the playground with riding toys and outside play items.
In addition to these improvements, Fidelity Investments offered its local employees the opportunity to make donations of money and gifts such as toys, books and educational materials. These gifts were presented to the parents, teachers and students of the five centers during a series of holiday parties where the children received personal gifts to open at home and were able to enjoy the new items featured in the centers.
This profound act of generosity was the result of a consulting partnership in which Fidelity offered logistical assistance during the development of the EFS Four Steps to Excellence 2.0 program. Upon learning about the critical nature of the work EFS accomplishes in the community, Fidelity employees were compelled to join the effort and make a difference in the lives of economically disadvantaged North Texas children. Jeff Harris, a Fidelity volunteer leader and host of the Tonae's 24hr Day Care holiday party, stated, “We could feel the impact of Saturday’s volunteer day at the party. When the kids saw the riding toys, they were wide-eyed. Then the other outdoor activity gifts were revealed and they were ecstatic. We very much enjoyed seeing first-hand the smiles on the children’s faces.”
EFS is proud to be a part of such a child-centered, productive partnership and is immensely grateful for the investment Fidelity has made in the lives of EFS-assisted students, teachers, directors and families.