Everyone likes to take part in a little holiday cheer. But make sure that if you’re drinking alcohol, you’re being responsible about it. Don’t drink and drive – it might just save a life.
LINCOLN, RI (PRWEB) December 28, 2012
There are plenty of holiday parties going on at this time of year, and alcohol is available at many of these gatherings. Amica Insurance is offering tips on how to be a responsible party host and help stop drinking and driving.
“Everyone likes to take part in a little holiday cheer,” said Tony Noviello, an assistant vice president with Amica Insurance. “But make sure that if you’re drinking alcohol, you’re being responsible about it. Don’t drink and drive – it might just save a life.”
In 2011, 9,878 people were killed as a result of drunk driving, a 2.5-percent decrease from the year before, according to Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Amica Insurance is sharing these tips from MADD to help host a safe party:
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages or “mocktails” for those guests who don’t wish to drink alcohol.
- Use fruit juice or other non-carbonated bases if planning to serve an alcoholic punch. Alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream faster with a carbonated base.
- Serve plenty of food to keep guests from drinking on an empty stomach.
- Serve food that isn’t too salty, which will lead to increased consumption of fluids.
- Play party games to keep guests entertained. Planned activities make for less active alcohol consumption.
- Make sure that every group in attendance has designated a driver that is not drinking.
- Have the phone number of a taxi company for those who need a ride, or offer guests to spend the night on a couch or pull-out bed.
“Use discretion when drinking alcohol and always be sure to designate a driver who is not drinking,” Noviello said. “A safe holiday season is a happy holiday season.”
About Amica Mutual Insurance Co.
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,100 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way, Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.