Never before has the focus of enterprise software been so squarely on empowering users to not just get work done, but to do great work by collaborating anywhere, on any device, with the tools of their choice.
London, UK (PRWEB) February 02, 2012
Alfresco, the open platform for social content management, today announced the general availability of Alfresco Enterprise 4, delivering an intuitive, HTML5-enabled interface for social content collaboration, enhanced mobile access to enable enterprise tablet adoption and seamless integrations with business productivity tools, like GoogleDocs, Microsoft Office & Quickoffice HD. In addition, Alfresco Enterprise 4 is the foundation for Alfresco in the cloud – a new, truly multi-tenant cloud collaboration service by Alfresco (currently in beta).
The enterprise workforce is changing rapidly. More than ever before, users are driving the change by forcing the corporate adoption of new social communication tools, new cloud services and new mobile devices. In just the last year, tablets have gone from being a consumer novelty to being the fastest growing corporate computing device in history. With Alfresco Enterprise 4, Alfresco is launching the first step in a new approach to content management that equips organizations to address the needs of today’s mobile, social and global workforce. Alfresco calls this approach cloud connected content.
Cloud connected content is content that is accessible from any device, able to be integrated and even synced with other cloud services, able to be published to cloud-based social sites, able to be shared inside or outside the firewall - and yet still able to be managed and controlled by the enterprise.
“We’re proud to release Alfresco Enterprise 4 today across the globe”, said John Powell, CEO and co-founder of Alfresco. “Never before has the focus of enterprise software been so squarely on empowering users to not just get work done, but to do great work by collaborating anywhere, on any device, with the tools of their choice. Alfresco is the company best positioned to bring enterprise requirements and the power of the cloud together to create real value for both companies and their employees.”
On top of the new features and usability enhancements, Alfresco Enterprise 4 includes dramatic improvements in overall performance, indexing, administration and extensibility – featuring 3x faster content uploads, among many other performance improvements.
New Features in Alfresco Enterprise 4 Include:
- New Mobile Device Support — Access and edit content from any device; smartphone, tablet, browser or through open standards like CMIS & WebDAV, enabling users to start processes, annotate documents, edit and save with just a few clicks or swipes
- New Social Interactions — Document management gets social and more adopted as users can “like” content, “follow” other users and see content activity streams
- New Productivity Apps — Use the productivity app of your choice, integrated with Alfresco; Microsoft Office, GoogleDocs, Apple iWork on iPad, Quickoffice HD, PDFExpert, Adobe Creative Suite and many more
- New User Interface Functionality — Tap into the refined, modern browser UI with key HTML5 interactions like file drag & drop and move and previews of virtually any common file type (docs, videos, audio, Adobe files, iWork files, etc.)
- New Publishing Channels — Connect and publish content to social media channels, such as YouTube, SlideShare, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Flickr
- New Cloud Use Cases — Collaborate with users outside the firewall with Alfresco in the cloud (in beta), while still maintaining control of your corporate content assets
- New Scalability Options — Choose horizontal clusters, or run the Alfresco content server, Alfresco Share collaboration application and Alfresco Indexing server each on separate servers (physical or virtual) for high-performance applications
- New Customization & Extensibility Options — Easily customize and extend the Alfresco Share application, with new configuration options and drop-in custom extensions; build your own mobile app with the open source Alfresco Mobile code
- Significant Performance Improvements — 3x faster content uploads, 10x faster user dashboard queries, 25-50% faster loading document libraries and document metadata
Next Steps in Alfresco’s Cloud Connected Content Strategy
Alfresco Enterprise 4 is the foundational platform for Alfresco’s cloud connected content vision, and will be followed by new services and integrations throughout 2012, including:
- Launch of Alfresco in the cloud – Coming Spring 2012, Alfresco in the cloud will be a full, multi-tenant Alfresco content & collaboration experience. In private beta now, all existing and new Alfresco Enterprise customers who purchase Alfresco Enterprise 4 by February 29, 2012 will get 1 terabyte of free cloud storage for the duration of their subscription (subject to promotion rules at http://alfresco.com/alfresco4)
- Launch of Dropbox integration – Also in Spring 2012, Alfresco will launch Dropbox integration for both Alfresco Enterprise 4 & Alfresco in the cloud, allowing users to promote Dropbox content to Alfresco. Dropbox is a free service that lets people bring their documents, photos and videos everywhere and share them easily
- Launch of Alfresco cloud connector – In Spring 2012, Alfresco will roll out the first phase of its cloud & on-premise sync technology, fully supported and delivered by Alfresco. This will allow a seamless connection between Alfresco Enterprise & Alfresco in the cloud, to allow enterprises to intelligently mesh on-premise document management with cloud collaboration and file sharing for B2B collaboration
Alfresco is how great businesses share, organize and protect their content. Alfresco’s community includes thousands of customers, partners and developers in 55 countries across the globe.
Founded in 2005, Alfresco is headquartered in London, with US headquarters in Atlanta.