Based on our online survey, it is clear that American consumers are frustrated with the amount they are being charged for internet access and are looking for an easy way to shop for and compare digital services such as Internet, TV and phone
Miami, FL (PRWEB) February 06, 2012
In a nationwide survey of more than 30,000 online consumers conducted by Broadband Expert, an overwhelming majority of respondents -- 94% -- believe they are paying too much for their broadband package and more than 25% have only one Internet provider to choose from. Of those surveyed 77% of respondents said they would like an easy apples-to-apples solution to be able to compare plans and prices when choosing a provider.
When asked about the ease of currently shopping for and comparing plans, 35% are totally discouraged by the complexity of comparing carriers on multiple websites. Even more alarming one-third of Americans do not know where to even start to shop for and compare broadband prices and services.
“Based on our online survey, it is clear that American consumers are frustrated with the amount they are being charged for internet access and are looking for an easy way to shop for and compare digital services such as Internet, TV and phone,” said Rob Webber, CEO, Broadband Expert. Webber goes on to say that he believes “like for like comparison of internet service providers and their packages helps encourage competitive pricing and better deals for consumers”.
Consumer Broadband Survey Highlights:
- 94% of respondents believe they are overpaying for their broadband service
- Over 50% of all respondents believe they are overpaying by at least 26% to 50%
- 33% believe they are overpaying by at least 10-25%
Nearly 95% of all respondents have shopped or considered shopping for new broadband service providers but found it difficult to impossible to compare plans or prices:
- 35% are discouraged by the complexity of comparing prices and plans
- 33% don’t know where to start to shop to compare plans and prices
- And 26% say there is only one internet provider available at my address
- The remaining 6% had no opinion or did not shop for broadband
When asked whether shopping or planning to shop for a new broadband service provider what are the most important factors, respondents indicated the following as being the three most important:
- Apples-to-apples comparison website of prices and plans (77%)
- Finding broadband service providers in their area (72%)
- Independent consumer reviews (35%)
When asked to rate how easy it is to compare different broadband plans and prices, respondents reported:
- 13% said impossible to compare
- 76% said difficult to compare different companies but doable with a lot of research and going to multiple websites
- 10% said it was easy
When asked to rate their current broadband service provider, respondents said:
- 57% are somewhat satisfied with both service and price
- 33% are not satisfied with service and price
- And only 1% are highly satisfied with both service and price
- The remaining 9% indicated they were highly dissatisfied with service and price
Why Consider Switching Broadband Service Providers
While not all US consumers have the choice between more than one Internet provider, Webber says the potential savings for consumers are huge. With an estimated 66 million households* with a broadband connection and a typical 2.5Mbs – 15Mbps broadband connection costing $38.11 per month according to the OECD’s latest report if even 10% of those households were to switch to a cheaper provider saving $5 per month this represents a combined saving of $396 million dollars per year.
- 66M US households have a broadband connection based on PEW Internets’ estimation that 60% of US adults have a broadband connection at home and a conservative estimate of 110M US households.
About Broadband Expert
Broadband Expert is part of RichWeb Media LLC, a privately owned company specializing in consumer advice and price comparison websites. Broadband Expert is independent of all internet providers and mobile broadband providers and aims to give a no nonsense guide to choosing the right service for your internet needs at the lowest price. At Broadband Expert, we research Internet providers and mobile broadband providers to help you see the true cost including any hidden extras. We provide consumers with tools to check availability in their area, read reviews of other Internet providers from fellow consumers and compare providers by download limits, speeds, set up fee, cost and minimum contract.
Follow us on Twitter:@BroadbandExpUS