San Diego, CA (PRWEB) February 28, 2012
Crested Geckos were thought to be extinct as recently as 15 years ago, until scientists rediscovered them on the island of New Caledonia in the Pacific Southwest. Petco™ is inviting guests to “rediscover” the Crested Gecko, or just learn more about them, at their nationwide “Meet the Critters” event, March 3-4 from 1-2 p.m.. Squeamish moms and kids alike can hold the critters, as well as learn proper care and habitat information.
According to the American Pet Products Association, 4.6 million U.S. households have made the effort to take care of 13 million pet reptiles as of 2011. Crested Geckos have continued to climb the popularity charts since the 1990’s due to their unique shape, beautiful markings, and their extended life expectancy of 15-20 years. These reptiles promise to become a lasting member of the family that everyone will enjoy having around. Knowledgeable staff will be on hand for the interactive meet-and-greet and share fun facts such as:
- All Crested Geckos in the United States are bred in captivity and over 1 million have been bred in this way to become happy, healthy pets in homes all across America.
- Crested Geckos have prehensile tails, which allow them to grasp and hold on to objects with their tails.
- The Crested Gecko is also referred to as an Eyelash Gecko because there is a layer of skin over its eyes, which resembles eyelashes. They clean this protective layer with their tongue!
- Crested Geckos are very docile and calm, especially the more acclimated they become with human interaction.
- They have very advanced toes because they are arboreal, meaning they spend the majority of their lives in trees or fixtures lifted off the ground.
- Their skin feels suede like, thanks to their very fine scales. Although their skin feels very soft, it is very tough and provides the gecko with extra protection.
For more information on the event please contact your local Petco or go to http://www.petco.com/crittes.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,100 stores nationwide, including more than 30 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and http://www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $90 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 7,000 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.