Wikibon defines Big Data to include data sets whose size and type make them impractical to process and analyze with traditional database technologies and related tools.
Marlborough, MA (PRWEB) February 22, 2012
Wikibon, the world’s premier Big Data technology research and advisory community, today released the first ever How Big is the Big Data Market?
- New study from Wikibon pegs Big Data revenues at $5B in 2011, surging to more than $50B by 2017; a 58% CAGR.
- According to Wikibon, IBM leads all players with more than $1B in Big Data revenue while HP’s Vertica leads all innovators with a 28% share of revenue generated by pure play companies.
- Next generation data warehouses are upending traditional enterprise markets with massively parallel, columnar analytic databases that deliver faster load times and near real-time analytic capabilities.
- Hadoop platforms are powering many Big Data innovations and driving adoption in emerging application segments.
- Services account for 44% of Big Data spending followed by hardware (31%) and software (25%).
We live in a data economy and so-called Big Data is becoming the new source of competitive advantage in the technology business. As an early watcher of Big Data trends, Wikibon initiated this groundbreaking research to provide guidance to its community on the size of the market. The world is buzzing about Big Data and it begs the question: "How big is the Big Data market?" Unable to find any market size information the Wikibon community kicked off a project to study, size and forecast the market; and report on market shares.
Wikibon defines Big Data to include data sets whose size and type make them impractical to process and analyze with traditional database technologies and related tools. The Big Data market, therefore, includes those technologies, tools and services designed to address these shortcomings, including:
- Hadoop distributions, software, subprojects and related hardware;
- Next Generation data warehouses and related hardware;
- Data integration tools and platforms as applied to Big Data;
- Big Data analytic platforms, applications and data visualization tools;
- Big Data support, training and professional services.
The full study is available for free at Wikibon.
Wikibon.org is a professional community solving technology and business problems through an open source sharing of free advisory knowledge. The organization was launched by former IDC, Meta and Gartner analysts with the vision of creating a platform for technology peers to share ideas and collaborate. All content on Wikibon is available for free under an open source license.
© 2012 Wikibon. All rights reserved. Wikibon is a trademark of Wikibon. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.