Washington, DC (PRWEB) February 23, 2012
Atlantic Information Services, Inc., publisher of ACO Business News, AIS’s Health Reform Week and Health Plan Week, is pleased to announce its February 28 webinar, Overcoming the Challenges of Bundled Payments: Health Plans’ Strategies and Results to Date. See webinar details at http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c2r07_022812.
To improve quality of treatment and reduce costs, government and private payers alike are showing great interest in testing bundled payments for episodes of care. A federal health reform initiative is under way to align payments for services delivered across an episode of care, such as heart bypass surgery or hip replacement, rather than paying for services separately. States are looking to pilot this payment model as well. In one of several efforts under way on the commercial side, Horizon Healthcare Innovations, a subsidiary of Horizon Healthcare Services, Inc., New Jersey’s largest and oldest health insurer, is partnering with five physician practices to ultimately design a bundled payment program for certain types of orthopedic procedures. The episode-of-care model shows great promise for reforming the payment delivery system.
During the webinar, Mark Lutes, from Epstein Becker & Green, P.C., and Colleen Matthews, from Horizon Healthcare Innovations, will discuss the challenges that are being overcome to develop a bundled payment model of care. Participants will get reliable answers to these and other important questions:
- What goes into the negotiation process of a bundled payment for an episode of care?
- How can health plans respond to challenges in developing a bundled payment model, such as avoiding cherry picking more healthy patients and avoiding administrative hurdles? What strategies are being employed in an attempt to address them? With what success?
- What can be learned from the experience of states that are already taking an interest in testing these models of care?
- What are the prospects for adoption by self-funded employers?
- What can health plans learn from CMS’s bundled payment demonstration?
- What procedures and episodes will be an early focus for plans and employers?
- What outcomes-based payments, technologies, reporting requirements and quality metrics are being considered for use in bundled payment models?
- What are the pros and cons of bundled payments in relation to other value-based payment methodologies, such as accountable care organizations?
Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c2r07_022812 for more details and registration information.
AIS develops highly targeted news, data and strategies for managers in hospitals, health plans, medical group practices, pharmaceutical companies and other health care organizations. Learn more at http://www.AISHealth.com.