Belk supported giving last fiscal year increased 40% over the previous year, which is a clear demonstration of Belk’s renewed commitment to giving back to our customers, our associates and our neighbors in need
Charlotte, NC (PRWEB) February 24, 2012
Belk, Inc. announced today that the company, and its associates, customers and vendors contributed over $18.3 million to local communities in the fiscal year ending January 28, 2012. Of the total amount, Belk corporate dollars funded $5.1 million to over 200 nonprofit organizations, with a focus on education, breast cancer research and awareness, and community strengthening. The remainder of the funding includes associate, vendor and customer dollars raised in Belk-led charitable initiatives, including Belk Charity Sale.
“Being a part of our communities and meeting local needs has been an integral part of the Belk philosophy since our founding in 1888, and it continues to be one of our core values today,” said Jessica Graham, Belk vice president of communications and community relations. “Belk supported giving last fiscal year increased 40% over the previous year, which is a clear demonstration of Belk’s renewed commitment to giving back to our customers, our associates and our neighbors in need.”
Key gifts in fiscal year 2012 included:
- Over $10 million to over 7,800 local charities through Belk’s semi-annual Charity Sale.
- $1 million gift over five years to fund The Belk Boutique at the Duke Cancer Center in Durham, N.C., which will provide hats, scarves, cosmetics and more to cancer patients.
- $1 million to Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, which includes corporate, associate and customer dollars and is the second year payment of a three-year commitment to fund breast cancer research and awareness efforts across the Belk footprint.
- Over $800,000, including corporate, associate, vendor and customer dollars, in disaster relief funding to help Tuscaloosa, Ala. and other communities in the Southeast rebuild after the April 2011 storms.
- Over $700,000, including corporate and associate dollars, to local United Way chapters across Belk’s 16-state footprint.
Key gifts funded directly by Belk, Inc. included:
- $750,000 to The Belk Foundation to assist in its efforts to ensure all students receive a quality public education.
- $350,000 to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, $250,000 of which funded a grant at the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center in Chapel Hill, N.C.
- $200,000 sponsorship over two years of Major League Baseball’s Civil Rights Game in Atlanta, Ga.
- $50,000 to support the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) Scholarship Fund.
In addition, Belk supported almost a dozen fashion shows to raise money for charities in local communities, as well as numerous store fundraising events.
About Belk, Inc.
Charlotte, N.C.-based Belk, Inc. (http://www.belk.com) is the nation’s largest privately owned mainline department store company with 303 Belk stores located in 16 Southern states. The company was founded in 1888 by William Henry Belk in Monroe, N.C., and is in the third generation of Belk family leadership. Its belk.com Web site offers a wide assortment of fashion apparel, shoes and accessories for the entire family along with top name cosmetics, a wedding registry and a large selection of quality merchandise for the home. To connect with Belk via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blog, mobile phone text messages or by email, go to: Belk Get Connected.
Modern. Southern. Style.
Belk seeks to satisfy the modern Southern lifestyle like no one else, so that our customers get the fashion they desire and the value they deserve. Our vision is for the modern Southern woman to count on Belk first – for her, for her family, for life.