"I was very restless and obsessively worrying but was able to deeply relax and calm down during the treatment."
Santa Cruz, CA (PRWEB) March 06, 2012
The Camp Recovery Center, a nationally accredited recovery facility set on 25 scenic acres in the Santa Cruz Mountains of Northern California, has added acupuncture to its drug rehab treatment program. At The Camp, several “alternative” therapies have been added to the traditional addiction treatment and they combine to provide a holistic approach to addiction treatment that meets a wide variety of client needs and preferences.
During the addiction treatment process, The Camp encourages clients to use natural remedies for the aches and pains that can accompany the early stages of recovery. Acupuncture is the latest therapeutic process that is being added to an array of alternative therapies that include yoga, biofeedback therapy, herbal remedies and amino acid therapy.
For several decades, the ancient Chinese practice of acupuncture has been recognized in the Western world as a safe treatment for chronic pain. Acupuncture has been found to have a soothing, relaxing effect that is extremely effective in helping people who are undergoing major life changes including drug detox.
Dr. Amy Solomon, M.D., medical director at The Camp, describes the philosophy behind the center's holistic treatment options. "We are moving away from the concept of taking a drug to change the way you feel, whether it is an illegal, prescription or over-the-counter drug. Our clients are really receptive to these safe, natural and non-habit-forming alternatives.”
Acupuncture aids recovery by:
- Stimulating production of beneficial brain chemicals such as endorphins and dopamine that are depleted by stress and drug use.
- Reducing cravings, headaches, body aches, drug dreams, sweats, and other physical discomfort related to alcohol and drug abuse.
- Improving sleep and increasing mental and physical well being.
- Enhancing the ability to focus and relax by alleviating depression, anxiety and stress.
According to staff member Cally Haber, "I have been using acupuncture to treat people in recovery for 22 years and it still amazes and impresses me when I see the profound results of acupuncture treatment in helping someone connect to a sense of peacefulness and quiet within themselves."
During the initial “trial period” for integrating acupuncture into the treatment program, client feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Here are a few examples of client responses the staff has received in the breakout groups after the trial acupuncture therapy sessions:
- "I love this therapy. It calms me down and gives me peace."
- "My anxiety was very high and I feel much better after the treatment."
- "I was very restless and obsessively worrying but was able to deeply relax and calm down during the treatment."
- "The headache I had had for 10 days completely went away during the treatment today."
- "I am never able to fully relax, but went into a deeply relaxed space with the acupuncture."
- "This was the first time I have been able to relax since I came into program. All the tension in my neck and shoulders released."
The staff at The Camp recognizes that a treatment program that works for one person may not work for another. Some clients respond to conventional treatments for addiction while others gravitate towards alternative therapies. The Camp provides a full range of conventional and alternative therapies and encourages clients to find the therapies that work for them. A team of professional addiction specialists works with each client to develop an individualized treatment that includes the most effective therapies.
More About The CAMP and CRC Health
The Camp Recovery Center provides a serene environment where adults and adolescents can recovery from addiction to prescription drugs, alcohol, cocaine, methamphetamine and other substances of abuse. The facility, which is surrounded by majestic redwoods, includes walking trails, a large sun-lit swimming pool and courts for basketball, tennis and volleyball. Since 1984, The Camp's team of addiction counselors, rehabilitation professionals, nurses and family therapists have helped thousands of clients find a new beginning.
The Camp is part of CRC Health Group, the nation's largest provider of specialized behavioral healthcare. Since 1995, CRC's passion for delivering advanced treatment has helped individuals and families reclaim and enrich their lives.
Please call 877-557-6237 or visit The Camp Recovery Center (http://www.camprecovery.com) website for more information.
# # #