“I am excited to join a top team of instructors at CPAexcel where the learning methodologies and materials are truly exceptional.”
—Dr. Ervin Black
Sedona, Arizona (PRWEB) March 15, 2012
Efficient Learning Systems, Inc., the parent company of CPAexcel CPA Review, is proud to announce the successful recruitment of Dr. Ervin Black to their faculty of esteemed CPA Review Course professors.
Mr. Rahul Srivastava, CEO and President of Efficient Learning Systems, Inc./CPAexcel said, “This is another step toward ensuring that CPAexcel has the highest level of quality in the content developed for CPAexcel candidates, and Dr. Black’s appointment to an already robust and distinguished array of authors is part of our continuous improvement program. Dr. Black comes to us as an author from BYU which is known for its accounting faculty and accounting program. BYU has one of the highest pass rates of CPA Exam candidates in the nation.”
Since 1998, CPAexcel has made a concerted effort to recruit the best and the brightest professors from the leading accounting programs in the United States.
Six of CPAexcel’s professors teach at the two universities which have held the #1 ranking in accounting departments for the last 18 years. Five of these professors are teaching or have taught at the University of Texas, Austin. According to the 2011 Public Accounting Report, UT-Austin had the #1 accounting undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs in the U.S. for that year. More importantly, UT-Austin had the top ranked graduate accounting department from 1994-2007 and 2009-2011. Brigham Young University, where Dr. Black teaches, was the top ranked accounting department in 2008, the only university to interrupt UT-Austin’s long domination in this discipline.
In addition, seven of CPAexcel’s professors hold endowed chairs at their respective universities, which is indicative of the high regard in which their universities hold these professors.
Two CPAexcel professors were named the top accounting professor in Illinois: Dr. Pam Smith, CPA, in 2008 and Dr. Donald Tidrick, CPA, in 2010. Both teach accounting at the very well respected Northern Illinois University.
Dr. Black joins this illustrious faculty and will be teaching CPAexcel students what they need to know to pass the CPA Exam. CPAexcel welcomes Dr. Black and wishes him many years of success as an author-lecturer.
About Dr. Black
Dr. Black is a full professor, teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses in international accounting and financial accounting in Brigham Young University’s Marriott School of Business.
In 2008, Dr. Black coached a team of BYU students to place first in the prestigious Deloitte National Student Case Study Seminar, earning $22,000 in scholarships for the students and their university. Handed the complex case materials only a few weeks before the competition, the students researched the problems presented. Guided by Dr. Black, they provided solutions focused on real-world financial accounting issues. At the competition, the students showcased their ability to identify the relevant accounting issues and present their solution effectively. Because of Dr. Black’s exceptional teaching and coaching, BYU captured first place against an array of teams from top ranked universities.
In addition, Dr. Black has been recognized by his peers for his teaching ability:
- IAAER/ACCA Grant for study of International Accounting Education Standards
- Outstanding Faculty Research Award, Marriott School of Management, 2007
- Outstanding Faculty Research Award, Ernst & Young, 2005
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers Fellow, PricewaterhouseCoopers, 2004
- Environments for Mentoring Grant, Brigham Young University, 2002
Dr. Black’s research in the financial accounting and international accounting areas resulted in his articles being published in a range of academic and practitioner journals as well as being cited in the Wall Street Journal, Fortune and The Financial Times. Among his other publications are:
- "U.S. Perspectives on Implementation of IFRS," Law, Corporate Governance and Accounting: European Perspectives, Routledge, 2011.
- “Who Trades on Pro Forma Information? An Intraday Investigation of Investor Trading Responses Around Pro Forma Press Release Dates”, The Accounting Review, Vol.28, No. 3, pp. 581-619, 2007
- "Pro Forma Disclosure and Investor Sophistication: External Validation of Experimental Evidence Using Archival Data," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Volume 32, Pages 201-222, 2007.
- "Empirical Evidence on Recent Trends in Pro Forma Reporting," Accounting Horizons, Volume 18, Pages 27-43, 2004.
- "Assessing the Relative Informativeness and Permanence of Pro Forma Earnings and GAAP Operating Earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Volume 36, Pages 285-319, 2003.
Since 2004, 87% of CPAexcel’s alumni have passed the CPA Exam. This is nearly twice the national average. Recognized as the leader in computer-based CPA Review, CPAexcel has now made its top performing CPA review courses and CPA study materials available on mobile platforms including Smart Phones, Kindles, and Tablet devices such as the iPad.
CPAexcel is published by Efficient Learning Systems, Inc., a privately owned company located in Sedona, Arizona.
For additional information on CPAexcel, please visit http://www.cpaexcel.com.