Surfing is an affordable and exhilarating way to start your own adventure in San Luis Obispo County.
San Luis Obispo County, California (PRWEB) March 22, 2012
San Luis Obispo County combines the best adventure travel experiences with the magnificent beauty of the Central Coast that makes for an affordable adventure vacation this spring. Surfers come from around the world to this region because it has some of the best surf in California. And the best part? It’s free if you have a board, and inexpensive if you need to rent one.
There are a variety of affordable (or even free) ways to experience all that Wine Coast Country has to offer. They will leave travelers feeling satisfied and leave their wallets full. From surfing to cycling, from hiking to kayaking, travelers spend their vacations in San Luis Obispo County to experience the outdoors in a variety of inexpensive ways.
Nick Franco, the district superintendent for the California State Parks San Luis Obispo Coast District, has lived in the region for almost 10 years, and he recently shared his picks for the Top 5 Outdoor Adventures in Wine Coast Country.
Top 5 Surfing Adventures in Wine Coast Country:
1. San Simeon is reliable and popular in the spring among local surfers, with wide beach breaks and chest-high swells. (winecoastcountry.com/play/san-simeon-surfing)
2. Pismo Pier can get crowded, but if you can handle yourself on a board, this shouldn’t matter. This south-facing beach enjoys some swells in the summer. (winecoastcountry.com/slo/regions/pismo-beach/)
3. Beaches and reefs near Los Osos are host to some famous (and some secret) surf spots. But beware of the “hazards” that come with the region’s rock shelves and large breaks. (Surfers, if you don’t get that hint, look it up.) (winecoastcountry.com/play/los-osos-surfing)
4. Surf near Morro Rock offers some great beachbreaks, but can it get pretty crowded and mushy at times. Surfers come here for the big swells and consistent waves, but many wander up the beach for uncrowded areas that are north of the rock. (winecoastcountry.com/play/morro-bay-surfing)
5. Cayucos Pier in Cayucos, Calif. is a decent spot for beginners, and it’s great for families who want the quintessential surf town experience that is quiet, uncrowded and laid-back. (winecoastcountry.com/play/cayucos-surfing)
Exact locations of the perfect surf vary depending on the time of year and the weather, but these are the best surf spots in general along the coast. For more information on affordable things to do in Wine Coast Country, visit http://www.WineCoastCountry.com/slo/top-5-outdoor-adventures.
ABOUT WINE COAST COUNTRY
Wine Coast country represents the San Luis Obispo County Business Improvement District (CBID), whose mission is to promote increased occupancy in the 801 lodging properties that are part of the CBID constituency. WineCoastCountry.com promotes tourism to San Luis Obispo County’s distinct unincorporated areas. For more information, call Cheryl Cuming at (805) 547-CBID (2243) or visit http://www.WineCoastCountry.com.