Mr. Garner regularly engages in sophisticated tax planning for businesses, estates, and individuals, resolution of tax disputes, tax-efficient structuring of business transactions, multi-state business tax planning, and business counseling.
Towson, Maryland (PRWEB) March 21, 2012
Bowie & Jensen, a leading business law firm, announces that attorney Jeremy Garner recently earned a Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree in Taxation from the University of Baltimore School of Law.
A partner at Bowie & Jensen, Mr. Garner is a member of the firm’s Transaction Department and leads the Tax Practice. He is also a member of the firm’s management committee.
Focusing his practice on representing small-to-medium-size businesses from start-up to eventual sale, Mr. Garner provides advice with respect to formation, taxation, growth and expansion and transactional matters. Mr. Garner’s primary concentration is in the area of general business law with a specialty in mergers and acquisitions and tax planning.
Mr. Garner regularly engages in sophisticated tax planning for businesses, estates, and individuals, resolution of tax disputes, tax-efficient structuring of business transactions, multi-state business tax planning, and business counseling, including a wide range of business and commercial transactions, such as private placements, entity formation, business continuation planning, business acquisitions and sales, employee incentive plans, executive compensation, and owner-occupied commercial real estate.
Mr. Garner has completed an LL.M. program in taxation, and his extensive knowledge of tax law, coupled with years of experience counseling business clients, helps him give advice about complex topics in a manner that is understandable and useful.
In his practice, Mr. Garner has:
- Represented a client in appealing disallowance of a bad debt deduction and eliminating the federal income tax arising out of the disallowance;
- Assisted a client in resolving disputes involving tax assessed in connection with a complex insurance-funded defined-benefit pension plan that had been promoted to the client;
- Formed and obtained tax exemptions for numerous non-profit corporations, including charitable, religious, scientific, literary, and educational organizations under Section 501(c)(3), social welfare organizations and civic leagues under Section 501(c)(4), and business leagues and boards of trade under Section 501(c)(6);
- Structured and executed estate plans, including estate tax planning, for clients with assets exceeding applicable federal and state estate tax exemptions;
- Represented a high-tech corporate client in completing a multi-million dollar mezzanine financing transaction involving issuance of debentures and warrants;
- Represented a buyer in acquiring of the assets of a major regional construction subcontracting company, in a multi-million dollar transaction; and
- Represented the new management of a bio-tech company in a complex reorganization and recapitalization and in multiple private placements of stock, all involving federal and state securities compliance.
Mr. Garner currently serves on the Council of the Tax Section of the Maryland State Bar Association. He has been a member of the steering committee for the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s annual “Legal Leaders Who Care” campaign in Baltimore, which raises donations to fund summer camp for children with muscular dystrophy. He has also volunteered as a block captain for the Towson Chamber of Commerce’s annual Towsontown Spring Festival.
The LL.M. designation is an internationally recognized postgraduate law degree, indicating advanced specialized legal training; in this case in taxation. In addition to an LL.M., Mr. Garner received his Juris Doctor (J.D.), with honors, University of Maryland School of Law (2000), and his Bachelor of Arts (B.A) in political science, magna cum laude, St. Mary's College of Maryland (1997).
About Bowie & Jensen
Bowie & Jensen is a Maryland-basedbusiness with attorneys representing clients around the world. Bowie & Jensen focuses on Business Litigation, Business Transactions, Intellectual Property, Employment Law, Estates & Trusts, Tax and Construction Law. For more information on Bowie & Jensen, please visit http://www.bowie-jensen.com.