San Diego, CA (PRWEB) March 28, 2012
Paparazzi and beauty pageants aren’t just for the bikini clad this spring. Small pets, such as hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits, get a chance to show off their talent, personality, intelligence and, of course, beauty during Petco’s monthly Meet the Critters event. According to the American Pet Product Association, five million U.S. households care for small animals - this event is their opportunity to put the spotlight on their pet!
Guests are invited, with their furry buddy, to their local Petco to snap pictures in the “Small Animal Photo Booth” or to be a pet paparazzi during the Small Animal Beauty Contest taking place on March 31 and April 1 from 1-3 p.m.. The barrage of free flash-happy activities are sure to amuse pet parents while offering them a chance to hold on to fun memories of their furry friend in the spotlight.
For those who don’t own a small animal or just want to find out more about these mini-pets, knowledgeable staff will be on hand for an interactive meet and greet. Kids of all ages will get a chance to find out about habitat, diet, care and other fun facts, such as:
- A happy guinea pig may jump straight up and down. This movement is called “popcorning.”
- Guinea pigs are social creatures that need daily quality time and interaction with their human family.
- Guinea pigs can develop social relationships with people or other species of animals.
- Feeding your hamster fruits and vegetables occasionally is important to their diet.
- Hamsters should be let out of their cage to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Many teachers have hamsters and other small animals as classroom pets to teach children compassion and responsibility.
Customers are also encouraged to upload their pictures from the Small Animal Photo Booth and Animal Beauty Contest to Facebook.com/Petco for a chance to win a Petco gift card. For more information on the event please contact your local store or visit http://www.petco.com/kids for more information.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,100 stores nationwide, including more than 30 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and http://www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $90 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 7,500 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 250,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.