What frustrates inventors and small businesses is the potentially expensive and lengthy process of defining and writing a patent. We developed ProvisionalBuilder to address that problem.
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (PRWEB) April 11, 2012
PowerPatent, the company that empowers entrepreneurs and innovators to protect their intellectual property, has launched ProvisionalBuilder™, the industry’s most comprehensive patent-creation software. ProvisionalBuilder is designed for individual inventors, entrepreneurs, startups, small businesses and universities that need to quickly draft and file strong, high-quality patent applications to protect their ideas and intellectual property. This powerful, expert-designed software guides entrepreneurs through the entire patent-creation process, enabling them to protect and monetize their intellectual property by successfully filing a provisional patent.
Designed and developed by a team of legal, software, user experience and Web design professionals
Until now, serious inventors looking for professional tools to create a patent could select from generalized, forms-based systems or software aimed at consumers. ProvisionalBuilder is a complete patent development software package that gives inventors and entrepreneurs a comprehensive computer-assisted methodology that facilitates the creation of a strong patent. ProvisionalBuilder embodies and applies best practices and processes developed by a team of legal, software, user experience and Web design professionals led by Bao Tran, an experienced patent attorney, MBA, and software engineer based in Silicon Valley, California.
“What frustrates inventors and small businesses is the potentially expensive and lengthy process of defining and writing a patent. There’s a clear market need for a professional-level tool that lets inventors take a more active role in the definition of their patent,” said Bao Tran, CEO and founder of PowerPatent, which is based in Silicon Valley. “We developed ProvisionalBuilder to answer that need. It goes far beyond what any other solution on the market currently offers. ProvisionalBuilder guides inventors through the complex process of writing a strong patent that is ready to file with the patent office.”
Mark Reyland, executive director of the United Inventors Association of America, sees ProvisionalBuilder filling a gap in the marketplace for robust, computer-based patent authoring solutions: “ProvisionalBuilder offers intuitive usability to the novice inventor, while the documentation and help videos do a great job explaining the provisional patenting process. We’re proud to have helped guide its entry into the inventor community and know first-time patent filers will find it to be a useful and valuable tool.”
Time is not on the inventor’s side
The America Invents Act (H.R. 1249) makes it more important than ever for inventors, startups, and small businesses to establish patent protection. In a major change, the law moves the critical invention of an idea from “first to invent” to “first inventor to file” — making it crucial that an inventor document the date of conception of an idea with an official patent application.
- Get organized: ProvisionalBuilder uses “how-to” guides that prompt the user to construct the application correctly. This easy-to-follow approach guides anyone, even those with no patent experience, through the application process.
- Context-specific examples: ProvisionalBuilder uses the information provided by the inventor to locate and display issued patents so he or she can see how others have described similar subject matter.
- Add drawings and annotations: Drawings generated by graphics applications or digital photos can be imported, labeled and annotated to highlight important aspects of the invention.
- Edit and refine: The user can update and edit a patent with the built-in word processor or export it to Microsoft® Word.
- Built-in error checking: Before filing, ProvisionalBuilder double-checks the application for accuracy and helps catch any errors or omissions so the application can be filed with confidence.
- Format for filing: When the patent is complete, ProvisionalBuilder generates a complete PDF patent application document that can be electronically filed with the USPTO. Alternatively, the application can be printed and filed with the USPTO using regular mail.
- Password-protected: All patent information is stored locally on the user’s computer. A personal password can be chosen to protect this information.
Dave Fish, a CEO and serial entrepreneur in Boston, Mass., used ProvisionalBuilder to fill out an application to document an invention he’d had in mind for some time. “I tried the software initially without reading the documentation, and found it remarkably easy to use,” said Fish. “Overall flow and forms entry are clear, logical and straightforward, with intuitive layouts throughout. Given the recent and acute need for innovators to assume first-filer status in order to protect IP, I believe the ease of use and overall completeness of ProvisionalBuilder could dramatically lower the barriers for tech startups to submit a provisional patent.”
Cisco Emas of Coquille, Oregon, a designer and inventor of the Pyramid Meditation Shelter stated: “I started my journey with an idea that I wanted to develop, but I had no idea how daunting it would be to follow through with that idea. Never in a million years would I have thought I could write a patent. ProvisionalBuilder enabled me to take control of my patent and has saved me time and money. You have done a great thing in developing this program because there are a lot of scammers looking to take advantage of inventors like myself. Thank you for helping me along with my dream.”
Pricing and compatibility
ProvisionalBuilder is available direct from the PowerPatent website http://www.powerpatent.com. For a limited time, PowerPatent is offering ProvisionalBuilder at the low promotional price of $199, a $50 discount off the retail price of $249. ProvisionalBuilder is compatible with Windows® and Mac®.
PowerPatent Inc. is a privately held software applications company headquartered in Silicon Valley. Our company’s products are designed and developed by a team of legal, software, user experience, and Web design professionals.
Our mission is to democratize the intellectual property (IP) ecosystem. Our tools provide a cost-efficient framework for inventors to participate in the IP system and be recognized and rewarded for their ingenuity. For more information, visit http://www.powerpatent.com, follow us @powerpatent on Twitter, and like us on Facebook.