Kathy and I love doing this and look forward to recording each episode. There are many topics we have yet to cover and new issues facing family caregivers all the time.
Greenville, SC (PRWEB) April 10, 2012
At a time when the producers of many podcasts – downloadable broadcasts playable on smartphones, tablets, computers and mp3 players – run out of things to say or simply lose their motivation after a few months or less, the Senior Care Corner Podcast is proudly celebrating its first anniversary serving family caregivers of older and elderly adults.
Like its companion, the Senior Care Corner blog, the podcast provides information and insights to family members and other caregivers of senior adults. It is planned, recorded and released biweekly by Kathy and Barry Birkett, the cofounders of Senior Care Corner.
The podcast has an established format intended to let regular listeners know what to expect from each download. Each 20 to 30 minute episode kicks off with a discussion of news items of interest to family caregivers, moves into the long-form feature segment and finishes off with a quick, actionable tip regarding some aspect of caring for senior loved ones.
“The longer form of the feature segment affords us an opportunity to address topics in greater depth than most blog posts”, says Barry Birkett, “as well as giving us a chance to bring our listeners other experts and technology providers, who tell their stories in their own words.”
Feature segments for the podcast address a broad range of topics, including:
- medical topics of interest to family caregivers of seniors, such as Alzheimer’s and, in the most recent episode, a discussion of diabetes and managing its impact on seniors;
- technology to improve the lives of seniors in their homes and away from home, including coverage of industry’s offerings for seniors at the International Consumer Electronics Show;
- living options for senior loved ones, including “home seniorization” to address changing needs as they age;
- social media for seniors, including the opportunities it presents to seniors of all ages and management of the potential risks; and,
- caring for the caregiver, aimed at reminding family caregivers of the importance to themselves and their loved ones of paying attention to their own needs as well as those of others.
Is there an end in sight for the Senior Care Corner podcast? Not at all, according to Birkett. “Kathy and I love doing this and look forward to recording each episode. There are many topics we have yet to cover and new issues facing family caregivers all the time.”
About Senior Care Corner
Senior Care Corner (on the web at SeniorCareCorner.com) provides solutions, information and tools to families and other caregivers of senior adults to help them improve the lives of the seniors in their lives. Their blog, biweekly podcast and bookstore address a wide variety of topics family caregivers can use to better understand the wants and needs of their senior loved ones.