Houston, TX (PRWEB) April 11, 2012
The Better Business Bureau, Copy Doctor and Tristar Document Shredding are joining forces on Friday, April 20th, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to provide Houstonians the opportunity to shred documents for free in an effort to help consumers fight identity theft.
What is the safest way to dispose of old bank statements, tax records, credit card statements, and other out-of-date documents? Shred them. Because of potential identity theft, you should never just throw records away in the trash, but it can be difficult to adequately destroy a large number if papers at one time.
Identity theft continues to be the fastest growing crime of consumer fraud. The Federal Trade Commission reports over 9 million victims in each of the last three years, and Texas ranks 3rd in the amount of reported cases per capita.
“The best safeguard against personal identity theft is to regularly destroy confidential personal and business documents,” said Rex Baggett, Vice President of Copy Doctor. “As a business who handles millions of document copies each year, we want to educate our community about the safe handling and disposal of those documents. We also take our environment responsibility seriously and want to be good stewards. The securely shredded documents are recycled by our partner company, Tristar Document Shredding.”
Tristar Document Shredding will be providing on site, secure shredding of sensitive and personal information at the Copy Doctor located at 3814 Bissonnet, Houston. Businesses or individuals may bring up to 200 pounds of paper (staples, paper clips and credit cards are okay).
Here are some tips on selecting items to shred:
- Keep your tax returns and all supporting documents for seven years. That includes any credit card statements used for tax-related expenses.
- Keep paycheck stubs for one year.
- Keep bank statements and cancelled checks for at least one year.
- Keep bills until the cancelled check has been returned.
- Keep bills for large ticket items for insurance purposes.
- Keep items such as birth certificates, social security cards, insurance policies, titles or wills in a safety deposit box and do not destroy.
For more information call Copy Doctor at 713-661-9100.