This App is jam-packed with vibrant colors, engaging interactivity, fluid poetry, predictable text and "teachable moments" with the infusion of content areas such as math & science!
Cupertino, CA (PRWEB) April 11, 2012
Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef won nine major awards as a book, including Learning Magazine’s Teacher’s Choice Award and National Parenting Publications’ Gold Award. Now that the book has been developed as an app, the sky is the limit!
The ocean in this app is teeming with pufferfish that “puff,” gruntfish that “grunt,” and seahorses that “flutter”—all at the touch of a little finger. Best of all, the animal babies really do behave that way, making this a delightful introduction to the ocean habitat.
This new app combines the talents of the author, Marianne Berkes, the illustrator, Jeanette Canyon, and the developer, Malachi Bazan of Simply Nature Media and Dawn Publications.
- The user chooses between “Read to me,” “Read to myself,” and “Sing to me.”
- The author narrates “read to me” and also sings the “sing to me” option to the tune of the classic kid’s song, “Over in the Meadow.”
- The stunning artwork is entirely constructed from colorful polymer clay—and illustrator Jeanette Canyon explains how it is done. It will make you want to have fun with your own clay.
- Each ocean animal has a signature movement activated by touching the baby animal on the screen. For example, the octopus squirts an ink cloud, and the seahorses flutter—which is exactly what happens in real life.
- After being introduced to all the animal babies, from one octopus to ten seahorses, they all “up and swam away” to play. The child is invited to find them “from ten to one,” which marks the beginning of a counting game.
- All information is scientifically accurate. After the counting game the child learns more about each species, including photographs. The author also explains the great variety of ways that these animals care for their young.
Over in the Ocean is the first app in a planned series based on the popular “Over” books by Berkes. Others in the book series include Over in the Jungle, Over in the Arctic, Over in the Forest, and Over in Australia.
The app is entirely appropriate for children. It does not contains ads, social media, in-app purchases, or links. It also does not collect data.
The first customer review, from Mrs. MJ Broker, said: “This App is jam-packed with vibrant colors, engaging interactivity, fluid poetry, predictable text and "teachable moments" with the infusion of content areas such as math (counting skills) & science (sea life)! As a mother and educator, this App is a treasure! (It's even more fun, if you have the book, as the App eloquently brings this book alive!)”
Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef enjoys an average rating of 5 out of 5 stars on the iTunes App Store and is available to download with a 40% discount until 18th April at: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/over-in-ocean-in-coral-reef/id508504251?ls=1&mt=8
About Dawn Publications and Simply Nature Media
Dawn Publications, is a nature niche publisher since 1979, specializing in connecting children and nature through quality books that inspire a deeper understanding and appreciation for all life on Earth. Malachi Bazan, through Simply Nature Media, has joined forces with Dawn Publications to develop inspiring and educational products in digital format. Malachi has extensive experience as a character modeler for Hollywood movies and major video games.
Learn more: http://www.dawnpub.com/