"We believe good design belongs in real homes - everybody's homes."
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. (PRWEB) April 17, 2012
IKEA, the Life Improvement Store, is launching its 7th IKEA PS collection, which puts a focus on cutting-edge Scandinavian furniture design while maintaining core IKEA values – quality design at an affordable price. IKEA PS collections are launched every three years, and this year, IKEA designers drew inspiration from 60 years of IKEA design history – looking through IKEA catalogues and archives – to reinvent products of the past and translate them into the future by updating form, function, and materials to make them more relevant and sustainable for today’s needs. The IKEA PS 2012 collection will be previewed starting today at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile (Milan Furniture Fair) and available to the public at IKEA stores in the U.S. starting August 2012.
“At IKEA, we never stop looking for better ways to do things. For the IKEA PS 2012 collection, we looked at our history for inspiration, and challenged our designers to bring their designs forward with innovative products that belong in the future,” said Janice Simonsen, IKEA U.S. Design Spokesperson and lead blogger for the Design by IKEA blog (http://www.theshare-space.com/Blog). “And of course, we asked them to do it all with affordability, as we believe good design belongs in real homes – everybody’s homes.”
Bright, colorful and made from a variety of materials, the IKEA PS 2012 collection, which includes items such as tables, lamps, bowls and textiles, is meant to be useful, relevant, fun and surprising. From shoe storage that doubles as seating to an insect-inspired indoor/outdoor steel easy chair to a children’s shelf that mimics a dollhouse, this collection has a bit of everything and embodies everything IKEA.
"Families with kids, people who live in small spaces, people with limited budgets – there's something for everyone with this collection," says Mats Nilsson, range strategist with IKEA of Sweden. "Whether it's one piece or many, these IKEA PS products are meant to inspire people and meet their needs and desires at home."
Some examples of how IKEA PS 2012 designers improved upon, innovated and modernized past ideas include:
Form and function:
- Lisa Norinder, designer of the colorful new IKEA PS 2012 stool, took a chair her father designed for IKEA in the '80s and updated its form to make it stackable.
- Sibling designers Knut Hagberg and Marianne Hagberg reimagined one of their previous designs to transform a foam children's indoor armchair into a stackable plastic IKEA PS 2012 children's armchair that can be used outdoors, too, alongside the IKEA PS 2012 children's table with built-in storage.
- Designer Wiebke Braasch's IKEA PS 2012 floor lamp transformed a shy tulle-covered '50s table lamp into a majestic ballerina-like LED floor lamp. Using LED, Wiebke could create lighting that consumes up to 85% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- With his IKEA PS 2012 three-seat sofa, Nike Karlsson took metal tube sofas of the '70s and filled them with pocket springs, which are easier to recycle and come from the mattress industry.
- Many products in this collection such as the IKEA PS 2012 side table and IKEA PS 2012 drawer use bamboo, a strong and fast-growing natural resource that helps save sensitive forests.
- Inspired by a sunflower, designer Marcus Arvonen’s IKEA PS 2012 bowl is made of two different sustainable materials – wood plastic composite and recycled PET plastic.
The IKEA PS 2012 collection will be available in U.S. stores starting August 2012. For a preview of the collection, visit the Design by IKEA blog (http://www.theshare-space.com/Blog), where Janice Simonsen, IKEA U.S. Design Spokesperson and lead blogger, will be writing about the new collection live from the Salone Internazionale del Mobile (Milan Furniture Fair) starting April 17, 2012.
Fans can also connect with IKEA via:
- http://www.theshare-space.com (IKEA “Share Space” website)
- http://www.theshare-space.com/Blog (“Design by IKEA” blog)
- http://www.facebook.com/ikeausa (IKEA Facebook page)
- http://www.twitter.com/DesignByIKEA (IKEA Twitter handle)
ABOUT IKEA PS
IKEA PS (meaning Post Scriptum) is the design statement of IKEA, first launched in 1995, which puts focus on cutting edge modern Scandinavian furniture design without losing sight of what makes IKEA unique – affordable, quality design for the many people.
ABOUT IKEA: The Life Improvement Store
IKEA strives to be ‘The Life Improvement Store,’ and since its 1943 founding in Sweden, has offered home furnishings of good design and function, at low prices so the majority of people can afford them. There are currently more than 330 IKEA stores in 40 countries, including 38 in the U.S. IKEA, the world’s leading home furnishings company, incorporates sustainable efforts into day-to-day business and supports initiatives that benefit children and the environment. For more information, go to http://www.IKEA-USA.com.
# # #