Farm Credit supports both large well-established organizations and those who are working towards achieving their goals at the grassroots level.
Denver, CO (PRWEB) April 17, 2012
Farm Credit, a national provider of financing and related services to agriculture and rural America, awarded $420,000 in the first quarter of 2012 to young, beginning, small and minority farmer organizations, agricultural education programs, and other agricultural industry advocates. Farm Credit’s National Contributions Program provides $2 million a year in funding to support the lives and livelihoods of farmers and ranchers. The national funding complements local and regional giving provided by Farm Credit entities across the United States and in Puerto Rico.
“Farm Credit supports both large well-established organizations and those who are working towards achieving their goals at the grassroots level,” said Christina Bowen, director of national contributions for Farm Credit. “This approach allows us to support the time-tested programs developed by National 4-H Council and the National FFA Foundation as well as innovative new programs being brought to the industry by relative newcomers."
Recipient Natasha Bowens, director and founder of The Color of Food, plans to use Farm Credit’s contribution “to elevate the representation of minority farmers across the country, and bring awareness to the racial inequities in the food system while providing opportunities for farmers to access information, resources and support.”
The Farm Credit National Contributions Program’s application deadline for the second quarter of 2012 is May 31. Qualified applicants are invited to apply today at http://www.farmcredit.com. Click on the “Apply for Grants and Sponsorships” button.
Farm Credit National Contributions program first-quarter 2012 recipients:
- American Farmland Trust
- AgriNomics Vision 2013 – American Society of Farm Managers & Rural Appraisers
- National Value Added Conference – C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems at MSU
- The Color of Food
- Commodity Challenge – Center for Farm Financial Management
- CCA Annual Institute --- Cooperative Communicators Association
- 2012 Alpha Zeta National Ag Leadership Conference – Fraternity of Alpha Zeta
- 2012 International Association of Programs for Agricultural Leaders (IAPAL) Annual Conference – LEAD New York Program at Cornell University
- NCOSAFP 2012 Annual Meeting – National Council of State Agricultural Finance Programs
- A Celebration of the Hispanic Culture at the 2012 National FFA Convention – National FFA Foundation
- Minorities in Agriculture, National Resources & Related Farmers Educational & Cooperative Union of America
- National 4-H Forestry
- State MarketMaker Partner Innovation Award Competition – 2012 Value Added Ag Conference
- 6th National Small Farm Conference
- Generating Success Conference – Successful Farming
- The Food Dialogues – U.S. Farmers & Ranchers Alliance
- Urban Farming - Food Empowerment Initiative
About Farm Credit: Lending Support to Rural America
For 95 years, Farm Credit has been a national provider of credit and related services to rural America through a cooperative network of customer-owned lending institutions and specialized service organizations. Created by Congress in 1916, the Farm Credit System provides nearly $175 billion in loans and leases to farmers, ranchers, rural homeowners, aquatic producers, timber harvesters, agribusinesses, and agricultural and rural utility cooperatives. For more information about the Farm Credit System, please visit http://www.farmcredit.com.
For more information:
Margaret Fogarty, Farm Credit National Communications Director
Email: Margaret(dot)Fogarty(at)farmcredit(dot)com | Phone: (303) 721-3284
Social: twitter.com/farmcredit | facebook.com/farmcreditnational