Phoenix Energy and Construction Helps Homes Run by Non Profit Organizations Protect the Health and Safety of Their Residents with Combustion Safety Testing

Share Article

Protecting the health and safety of all residents from carbon monoxide exposure in the home is mandatory for all stakeholders. Symptoms are gradual, additive and could be devastating. Proper testing insures a most comfortable, healthy and safe environment.

Phoenix Energy and construction

Someone exposed to CO at that high a level could succumb probably within a couple of hours

Phoenix Energy and Construction understands that carbon monoxide accumulation in your home can and must be prevented. Technicians are trained to perform this testing. This is a serious responsibility in every home energy assessment that always includes Combustion Safety Testing.

It's in the news more and more.

According to an article posted on April 24 on The Washington Post by Mark Gail: "The back of the home where five people were found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in the 700 block of Shelby Drive in Oxon Hill. Marc S. Bashoor, chief of the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department, said, 'The early investigation has shown that the exhaust pipes in the home’s heating system were “rusted and separated” and that carbon monoxide was pumped inside instead of venting out.' A dog also was removed from the home on oxygen support.

"Authorities said the investigation was centering on a broken exhaust pipe that showed signs of significant wear and tear, including holes that appeared capable of letting unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide seep into the home. Firefighters detected extraordinarily high levels of carbon monoxide in the home. Normal carbon monoxide reading is 5 parts per million and the reading taken at the home measured 550 parts per million."

"Someone exposed to CO at that high a level could succumb probably within a couple of hours," said Marc S. Bashoor, chief of the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/apparent-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-deaths-in-maryland-investigated/2012/04/24/gIQAI2oIfT_gallery.html

According to an article posted on July 27, 2010 on Allvoices by Robert Weller, "The claim is that Parker Lofgren, 39, his wife, Caroline, 42, their children, 10-year-old Owen and 8-year-old Sophie, were killed by the colorless gas leaking from a snowmelt system. It also is odorless, making it even more difficult to detect.

"The deaths led to a campaign that resulted in a Colorado requiring most homes to be fitted with carbon monoxide detectors. News reports said county ordinances required a carbon detector in the home at 10 Popcorn Lane."
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6397620-aspen-carbon-monoxide-deaths-lead-to-charges

Phoenix Energy and Construction's technicians are certified by the Building Performance Institute (BPI), the nation's premier building performance credentialing, quality assurance and an ANSI-accredited national standards setting organization, emphasizes safety and risk reduction by Combustion Safety Testing, as fundamentals that must be practiced on every job. Viewed not as best-practices but rather as must-practices, they are imperative for protecting occupant health, reducing liability risk for Accredited Contractors and program managers and guarding the reputation and growth of the home performance and weatherization industry as a whole.

It becomes necessary to remind every stakeholder in non profit organizations that operate residential homes, to never relax their efforts when it comes to safety. Accredited Contractors and Certified Professionals in Phoenix Energy and Construction conform to these standards.

Anything less can result in tragedy for residents and their families.

A double layer of protection to the Quality Assurance Program on the work of BPI Accredited Contractors is verifying that the work conforms to the standards, including all safety tests, greatly reducing the risk of horrific things happening. Quality assurance helps protect occupants from real danger and helps protect contractors from liability.
BPI national standards include combustion safety and carbon monoxide protection provisions that must be followed whenever heating systems or the building envelope are altered, including:

    A preliminary and post-installation safety inspection of all combustion appliances
    Carbon monoxide (CO) measurement at each appliance
    Draft measurement and spillage evaluation for atmospherically vented appliances
    Worst-case negative pressure measurement for each combustion appliance zone (CAZ)

Phoenix Energy and Construction promotes its services to non-profit organizations on its Home Performance Radio Show, broadcast throughout Southern California, every Friday, 4-5PM, on KFSD AM 1450 and KSPA AM 1510.

Visit http://www.phxenergy.info or call 858-208-7016

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Clifford Wolf
Follow us on
Visit website