...entries were up substantially from last year. It proves that people understand and value the importance of our remarkable judges, unimpeachable judging methods and tasting environment and the worth of our Chairman’s Trophy awards...
New York, NY (PRWEB) May 03, 2012
Ultimate Beverage Challenge® (UBC), is proud to announce the results of the annual Ultimate Wine Challenge (UWC) held at Astor Center in New York City on April 23-27, 2012.
Led by Ultimate Beverage Challenge (UBC) Founder and Judging Chairman F. Paul Pacult and Judging Co-Chairman Sean Ludford, fourteen of the world’s foremost wine authorities rated more than 700 wines from around the world. This remarkable group of judges scored wines using UWC’s innovative multi-round judging system and the consumer-friendly 100-point rating scale and named: 27 wines as Chairman’s Trophy winners as the highest scoring wines in their category. In addition, 216 wines were rated “Great Value” based on their score-to-price relationship which shows that great tasting wines don’t always have to cost a great deal of money. Chairman’s Trophy winners, Finalists and all wines rated 85 plus have tasting notes along with their score available on the UBC website, http://www.ultimate-beverage.com/
All wines were judged in flights according to price, grape type and region. The judging panels did not know the identity of any of the entered still, sparkling, fortified wines and sakes in order to provide completely unbiased scores and a level playing field for all products.
Led by Co-Judging Chairmen F. Paul Pacult and Sean Ludford, Ultimate Wine Challenge judges for 2012 included a stellar group of buyers, journalists, educators, sommeliers and consultants including six Masters of Wine, a title that is internationally recognized as the pinnacle of professional achievement in the world of wine: Michael Apstein; Christy Canterbury, MW; James Conley; Mary Ewing-Mulligan, MW; Doug Frost, MW; Mary Gorman-McAdams, MW; Lisa Granik, MW; Ed McCarthy; John McClement; Patricia Savoie; Tara Q. Thomas and Jennifer Simonetti-Bryan, MW.
Said UBC Founder F. Paul Pacult, “We are very pleased that so many companies entered Ultimate Wine Challenge this year – entries were up substantially from last year. It proves that people understand and value the importance of our remarkable judges, our unimpeachable judging methods and tasting environment, the worth of our Chairman’s Trophy awards and the marketability of our scores and tasting notes.”
To view downloadable, behind-the-scenes images of Ultimate Wine Challenge, go to http://www.ultimate-beverage.com/uwc2012photos/
2012 ULTIMATE WINE CHALLENGE CHAIRMAN'S TROPHY WINNERS
For a list of results, including all Finalists and wines scored 80 plus points, visit http://www.ultimate-beverage.com/uwc2012results/
- Bodegas y Vinedos De Aguirre Reina Ana Gran Reserva 2009 Maule Valley, Chile (Assorted Reds – Southern Hemisphere)
- Davis Bynum Pinot Noir 2010 Russian River Valley, United States (Pinot Noir – World)
- Domaine De Nizas Le Mas Rouge 2009 Languedoc, France (Assorted Reds – Europe)
- Franciscan Estate Magnificat 2007 Napa Valley, United States (Assorted Reds – North America)
- Gamela Reserva, Viñas de Altura Malbec 2009 San Rafael, Argentina (Malbec – World)
- HandCraft Petite Sirah 2010 California, United States (Petite Sirah – World)
- Herdade da Comporta 2008 Setúbal DOC, Portugal (Assorted Reds – Portugal)
- Monte De Oro Deportola Vineyards Estate Grown Merlot 2008 Temecula Valley, United States (Merlot – World)
- Monte De Oro Vista Del Monte Vineyard, Estate Grown Syrah 2007 Temecula Valley, United States (Shiraz/Syrah – World)
- Nordby Vineyards Il Re (The King) Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 Lake County , United States (Cabernet Sauvignon – World)
- Rodney Strong Knotty Vines Zinfandel 2009 Sonoma County, United States (Zinfandel – USA)
- Dr. Konstantin Frank Dry Riesling 2011 Finger Lakes, United States (Riesling – World)
- Fetzer Gewurztraminer 2010 California, United States (Gewurztraminer – World)
- Framingham Sauvignon Blanc 2011 Marlborough, New Zealand (Sauvignon Blanc – World)
- Quails' Gate Chenin Blanc 2010 Okanagan Valley, Canada (Chenin Blanc – World)
- Quails' Gate Stewart Family Reserve Chardonnay 2010 Okanagan Valley, Canada (Chardonnay – World)
- Vinas del Vero La Miranda de Secastilla Garnacha Blanca 2010 Somontano, Spain (Assorted Whites – World)
- Willm Réserve Pinot Gris 2010 Alsace, France (Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris – World)
- Le Caprice de Clementine Les Valentines 2011 Cotes-de-Provence, France (Rosés – Europe)
- Midsummer Cellars Rosé Grenache 2011 Yolo County, United States (Rosés – North America)
- Domaine Carneros Brut Rosé 2008 Carneros, Napa, United States (Sparkling – World)
- Moet & Chandon Imperial Brut NV Epernay, France (Champagne – France)
- Eden Vermont Ice Cider Calville Blend Apple 2010, United States (Cider – World)
- Whistler Icewine VQA Riesling 2008 Niagara Peninsula, Canada (Ice Wines – World)
- Barbadillo Obispo Gascon Palo Cortado Palomino NV Sherry, Spain (Sherry – Spain)
- Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port 2009 Douro, Portugal (Porto – Portugal)
- Kitaya Kansansui Junmai Dai-Ginjyo NV Fukuoka, Japan (Sake – World)
Ultimate Wine Challenge…like no other competition and doesn’t want to be.
About Ultimate Beverage Challenge
Ultimate Beverage Challenge (UBC) was founded by F. Paul Pacult, Sue Woodley and David Talbot and provides expert evaluation of spirits, wines and cocktails for producers, importers and marketers through its three innovative annual competitions – Ultimate Spirits Challenge, Ultimate Wine Challenge and Ultimate Cocktail Challenge.
Ultimate Beverage Challenge inquiries: info(at)ultimate-beverage(dot)com or 1-347-878-6551.
Media inquiries: Manuela Savona, Savona Communications, manuela(at)savonacommunications(dot)com, 1-917-969-1275.