My school nurse experience guides me to search and find wellness partners and Linda Frankenbach greeted me with openness and care, ready to hand us the keys to fitsmi.com tools we can use right away," added Deb Ilardi, Clinical Editor, School Nurse News.
New York, NY (PRWEB) May 16, 2012
The current May issue of School Nurse News features fitsmi.com's top tips for reaching out to teen girls struggling with their weight. fitsmi.com, a web community that offers support, tools and inspiration specifically for girls ages 13-18, recognizes the importance of the school nurse and their unique role in guiding girls towards a healthy lifestyle.
“School Nurses play a pivotal role in the battle against adolescent obesity. They can offer guidance and provide tools to help kids get and stay on a healthy track that will have lifelong benefits,” said Linda Frankenbach, founder and CEO of fitsmi.com and fitsmiForMoms.com “We look forward to working in partnership with school nurses and are thrilled to be a resource for these valuable professionals.”
"The health challenges that students present to their school nurses are often complex. The nurse must find services and resources to provide the best possible care. As the clinical editor of School Nurse News, I am excited about connecting fitsmi.com with our subscribers. My school nurse experience guides me to search and find wellness partners and Linda Frankenbach greeted me with openness and care, ready to hand us the keys to fitsmi.com tools we can use right away," added Deb Ilardi.
Tips for school nurses include, among others:
- Speak to school administrators about offering healthy alternatives at lunch and for snacks.
- Offer to speak to the Parent-Teacher organizations in your school about general health concerns, including adolescent obesity.
- Create your very own fitsmi Stars group by using fitsmi’s Change Machine, a free online tool that helps girls make daily small sustainable changes that add up to big results. fitsmi2Go makes it possible for girls to access their fitsmi Change Machine on their mobile devices.
- Make sure that plus-sized teens are featured positively on photos/images/posters in your office as well as classrooms.
- Talk to physical education teachers about ways in which overweight teens can feel more comfortable and engaged in physical education class and after-school sports.
fitsmi.com is a web community where teen girls (ages 13-18) struggling with their weight can go to feel good about themselves, get reliable information, laugh, build friendships, find support, set goals and stay on track by using fitsmi.com’s Change Machine. fitsmi’s Change Machine, and the mobile version, fitsmi2Go, were designed to help girls make personal daily attainable goals that help create positive healthy and sustainable change, as well as to be a social network where girls can support each other. Follow fitsmi.com on Facebook and twitter (@fitsmi).
fitsmiForMoms.com, a web community for parents of children struggling with their weight, is a separate companion site to fitsmi.com. fitsmiForMoms.com offers support, information and guidance to help parents make healthy choices for their children and to help them through the challenges of having an overweight child. Follow fitsmiForMoms on Facebook and twitter (@fitsmiForMoms).