Stamford will be the school the rest of the world visits, to see the future of education today.
Singapore (PRWEB) May 19, 2012
It is the largest K-12 education construction project in the Asia Pacific region. The new $300 million permanent campus for Stamford American International School (Stamford) will be the only one of its kind when it opens its doors in August 2012.
Stamford today revealed its plans for the new school which will be the most advanced learning environment ever built. The new facility will feature state of the art technology and facilities that will establish it as the new benchmark for international schools around the world.
The school is being built by Cognita – one of the world’s largest K-12 education providers, with 58 schools across the UK, Europe and Asia. At a cost of $300 million, it represents the largest investment in a K-12 education facility anywhere in the region, and a major economic injection into the Singapore economy.
Brian Rogove, Cognita’s Chief Executive Officer Asia Pacific, said Stamford will be the perfect environment for preparing children for entry into the world’s most prestigious universities.
“The new Singapore school will be a flagship in Cognita’s portfolio of schools. When completed, Stamford will be the most advanced international school ever built. Its features and facilities will be second to none.”
“Stamford will be the school the rest of the world visits, to see the future of education today.”
“The quality of the school we are building underpins our commitment to the Singapore Government to provide a high quality learning institution. Stamford’s world class facilities will reaffirm the EDB’s vote of confidence in Cognita, when they awarded us the site in 2008. As Singapore continues to emerge as an international education hub, it is fitting that the most advanced international school in the world be located here.”
“Cognita decided to make this school our global showpiece because we saw the need for a high quality teaching and learning institution. Singapore has become the crossroads of Asia and a preferred destination for managing regional business opportunities. The balance of quality of life and professional opportunities makes Singapore an ideal location for expatriates. The demand for high quality education is high and Stamford meets the needs of parents and students,” Mr. Rogove said.
Mr. Aaron Tham, Director of EDB’s Human Capital Division said, “The long-term land sites made available through the Request-for-Interest exercise will allow foreign system schools to invest in the necessary infrastructure and resources to deliver high-quality options. Stamford American International School’s commitment to incorporate technology into its facilities for an enhanced learning environment is a good example of how infrastructure can provide students with an enhanced learning environment. We look forward to the school adding to the range of high-quality international school options available here. ”
WORLD CLASS CAMPUS FEATURES
Key features of the school include:
- Singapore’s first Interactive Learning Environment – where guest lecturers and teachers from around the world can interact with students. Teachers will be able to give lectures on site – e.g. teaching about Ancient Egypt from the base of the Great Pyramid
- Singapore’s first 1 to 1 iPad program for K2 to Grade 5. Older students will have their own MacBook
- A 21st century Media Resource Centre - beyond the traditional library, this centre is up to date with the latest traditional as well as technological resources
- State of the art science wing and computer laboratories
- Comprehensive art facilities - Dedicated spaces for art, theatre, dance and music, including areas for exhibiting of fine arts and hosting of performances
- World-class sporting facilities - Two swimming pools with ionized water and a ‘learn to swim’ wading pool, basketball courts, and an outdoor field for various sports including American Football plus two indoor gyms, including a commercial standard fitness centre
- Specially designed Early Years/Nursery facilities, with its own enclosed secure playground
- Indoor and outdoor meeting spaces, including student breakout areas
- Electronic security system for each child and Singapore’s first fully computerized vehicle drop off and pick up facility
Designed by leading international education specialists, architects FJMT and prominent Singapore design firm Architect 61, the campus delivers a US-style educational experience in a campus designed for an Asian environment.
In terms of size, the new school will require 93,000 tonnes of concrete, 6,000 tonnes of steel and 30 kilometers of cabling.
ECONOMIC BENEFITS TO SINGAPORE
- A key economic benefit of the school is the provision of more international school places which helps to attract businesses and investment to Singapore
- The other key benefit is the flow-on to the local economy of the $300 million construction spend which will create thousands of jobs across various industries
- Currently there are seven large consultancy firms engaged directly by the lead design and construction company Lend Lease, while another 50 are estimated to be engaged in the supply of materials, services and trades to the project
- More than a 1,000 people are directly engaged on the project with many more to benefit
- The school will provide a recurrent injection of several million dollars each year into the local economy through the engagement of local companies to provide cleaning, catering, landscaping, security and other ancillary services to the school.
Stamford was awarded the site by a Government committee chaired by the Singapore Economic Development Board in 2008. Stamford’s foundation campus opened its door at Lorong Chuan in 2009 with 76 students and now operates at full capacity with more than 630 students. The new permanent facility, centrally located at Upper Serangoon Road, will accommodate 2,500 students aged between two and 18 and will be officially opened in October 2012.
Stamford American International School (Stamford) is the new benchmark for excellence in international education in Singapore. With its experienced team of educators, cutting-edge facilities and rich cultural diversity, there is no better way to prepare students for a competitive and fast changing world.
Stamford’s academic curriculum prepares students for entry into the world’s top universities. Stamford is the first school in Singapore to offer students both the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma and the American Advanced Placement (AP) Diploma – giving students an international experience with an American foundation. Stamford also excels in the teaching of languages offering Mandarin and Spanish classes on a daily basis, beginning when students are as young as 2 years old.
Stamford has the most experienced and qualified team of educators at international schools in Singapore. Superintendent Malcolm Kay is the most experienced IB educator in Singapore, with more than 30 years experience. Together with his senior team, Mr. Kay has helped more than 5,000 students enter prestigious universities including Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Yale and UCLA.
The faculty is one of the most highly qualified of any international school in the world: 75% have a Master’s Degree including 100% of the Middle School teachers. 100% of the faculty is IB trained and more than 80% have international teaching experience.
Cognita, the company behind Stamford, is one of the strongest education providers in the world. The Cognita Group currently runs over 58 schools across the United Kingdom, Europe and South-East Asia. Cognita employs more than 4,000 teaching and support staff, educating more than 18,000 pupils.