Together with LexisNexis, the Foundation celebrates the incredible contributions Lex Mundi member law firms are making around the world
Washington, D.C. (PRWEB) May 25, 2012
The third annual Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation Awards were presented by the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation and LexisNexis during the 2012 Lex Mundi Leadership Summit and Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. These awards honor Lex Mundi member law firms that have provided critical pro bono legal services – helping to strengthen the global rule of law, the global social entrepreneurship movement and improve the lives of the world’s poor and disenfranchised.
The Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation (the "Foundation") and LexisNexis were proud to honor the following 2012 award recipients:
- North America: Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Lex Mundi member firm for USA, Washington, D.C.
- Latin America / Caribbean: Claro & Cia., Abogados, Lex Mundi member firm for Chile
- Europe / Middle East: Fundación Profesor Uría, the Foundation of the Lex Mundi member firm for Spain, Uría Menéndez
- Asia / Pacific: Romulo Mabanta Buenaventura Sayoc & De Los Angeles, Lex Mundi member firm for the Philippines
- Africa: Shalakany Law Office, Lex Mundi member firm for Egypt.
“Together with LexisNexis, the Foundation celebrates the incredible contributions Lex Mundi member law firms are making around the world," said the Foundation's Managing Director, Chloe Holderness. "The 2012 honorees are innovators in strengthening the global pro bono culture and have provided meaningful change in communities around the world.”
Selene Martin, Director of Corporate Responsibility for LexisNexis commented, “On behalf of LexisNexis and our 10,000 employees worldwide, we offer heartfelt congratulations to the winning Lex Mundi member firms. Their tremendous accomplishments are nothing short of inspiring.”
Examples of the diverse pro bono projects in which the honorees engaged include organizations such as:
- Recycla Chile, the first social entrepreneur organization in Latin America to develop a sustainable business model to properly recycle the growing amount of electronic waste;
- Envirofit, an organization that is using an enterprise-based model and innovative technologies to tackle global problems such as indoor air pollution;
- Meshwar Organization for Community Development, a social entrepreneur organization that helps empower marginalized women and children across Egypt, primarily through access to critical social services including education and microfinance; and
- Network for Good, an organization that makes it as easy to donate and volunteer online as it is to shop online, and makes it simple and affordable for all nonprofits, of any size, to recruit donors and volunteers via the Internet.
- Many other social entrepreneur organizations with a wide range of critical pro bono legal needs have benefited from services provided by Lex Mundi member firms. The pro bono commitment made by members has enabled these organizations and many others to deepen their impact and improve communities and lives around the world.
Many other social entrepreneur organizations with a wide range of critical pro bono legal needs have benefited from services provided by Lex Mundi member firms. The pro bono commitment made by members has enabled these organizations and many others to deepen their impact and improve communities and lives around the world.
LexisNexis Legal & Professional is a leading global provider of content and technology solutions that enable professionals in legal, corporate, tax, government, academic and non-profit organizations to make informed decisions and achieve better business outcomes. As a digital pioneer, the company was the first to bring legal and business information online with its Lexis® and Nexis® services. Today, LexisNexis Legal & Professional harnesses leading-edge technology and world-class content, to help professionals work in faster, easier and more effective ways. Through close collaboration with its customers, the company ensures organizations can leverage its solutions to reduce risk, improve productivity, increase profitability and grow their business. Part of Reed Elsevier, LexisNexis Legal & Professional serves customers in more than 100 countries with 10,000 employees worldwide.
About the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation
The Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit affiliate of Lex Mundi, the world’s leading association of independent law firms. The Foundation’s mission is to engage Lex Mundi’s global network of leading independent law firms to support and empower those working to bring about high impact and sustainable social change that improves communities and lives. The Foundation achieves its mission through two core programs. The first program utilizes Lex Mundi lawyers to provide critical pro bono legal services to the world’s leading social entrepreneurs. The second program is a recently launched unique online legal community, LawForChange, that provides a one-stop source of legal information and resources specifically designed to support, strengthen and empower the U.S. (and one day global) social sector. For more information, please visit http://www.lexmundiprobono.org and http://www.lawforchange.org
About Lex Mundi
Lex Mundi is the world’s leading association of independent law firms. The association has more than 160 member firms around the world, representing approximately 21,000 lawyers. Membership in Lex Mundi provides member firms with a trusted network of law firms that share similar values and a similar focus on quality through which they can access global legal resources that enable them to serve their clients better and to improve continuously all aspects of their firms. Member law firms are located throughout North America, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, Asia and the Pacific, the Middle East and Africa. For more information, please visit http://www.lexmundi.com.