Full 2011 Utility Solar Rankings Report Now Available

SEPA’s annual Utility Solar Rankings survey identifies the most active utilities in the country based on the amount of new solar power they added to their systems, and on the amount of new solar power relative to the number of customers they serve.

  • Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail a friend
The findings show that 39 percent of new solar capacity came from utilities owning or contracting for solar power. Large solar projects, greater than 10 megawatts each, represent the bulk of this utility-led capacity.

Washington, D.C. (PRWEB) May 23, 2012

Today, the Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) released the full 2011 Utility Solar Rankings Report. The full report ranks utilities nationally, by region and by utility type and is available at no cost. Among the many findings, the report showed that in 2011, utilities interconnected more than 62,000 PV systems of all sizes. These new systems resulted in almost 1,500 megawatts of new utility solar capacity, more than twice as much as was added in 2010, which itself had been a record year. Both the number of systems and the percentage of growth make solar electricity the fastest growing electric source in the U.S. in 2011.

The findings of SEPA’s annual Utility Solar Rankings survey identify the most active utilities in the country based on the amount of new solar power they added to their systems, and on the amount of new solar power relative to the number of customers they serve.

“In addition to the photovoltaic systems added by customers and third-party producers, much of the growth has come from the direct actions of utilities,” says Julia Hamm, SEPA President and CEO. The findings show that 39 percent of new solar capacity came from utilities owning or contracting for solar power. Large solar projects, greater than 10 megawatts each, represent the bulk of this utility-led capacity. The remaining 61 percent comes from residential and commercial installations.

SEPA’s annual Utility Solar Rankings Report includes annual and cumulative national Top 10 rankings as well as annual Top 10 rankings by region and utility-type. The report also includes several additional Top 10 “breakout” ranking categories, including annual and cumulative largest solar projects, cumulative penetration rate (number of projects per 1,000 utility customers), and cumulative megawatts for investor-owned utility holding companies.

The dataset from SEPA’s annual Top 10 utility solar rankings survey is now available for purchase and includes the 200+ most solar-active utilities in the United States. For information on the complete dataset and pricing, please go to http://www.SEPATop10.org.

In addition to the data presented in the report, SEPA can provide customized analysis. If interested, contact Mike Taylor, Director of Research mtaylor(at)solarelectricpower(dot)org, (202) 559-2028.

ABOUT SEPA
The Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) is an educational non-profit dedicated to helping utilities integrate solar power into their energy portfolios. With more than 1,000 utility and solar industry members, SEPA provides unbiased utility solar market intelligence, up-to-date information about technologies and business models, and peer-to-peer interaction. From hosting national events to one-on-one counseling, SEPA helps utilities make smart solar decisions. For more information, visit http://www.solarelectricpower.org.


Contact