New York, NY (PRWEB UK) 11 June 2012
The Clipper Round the World Yacht Race was in New York this week and used the opportunity to launch an innovative new approach to executive development, in response to the changing global economy, at the NASDAQ Marketsite, Times Square, New York.
The World Program combines experiential learning through tough teamwork and leadership challenges, such as extreme sailing on ocean racing yachts, with cultural and academic awareness supported by a global network of partners, including a leading New York Business School.
Clipper Race yachts have already been used in highly successful pilot programs with Chinese and European partners, bringing together western and Asian business cultures in Europe. Clipper Venture’s Commercial Director, Nigel Beacham, explained, “Our clients see The World Program as a timely response to the current difficult global economic climate. The integration of experiential learning, such as the sailing challenges set aboard our Clipper Race yachts, creates a dynamic component of the program, developing character alongside knowledge.”
Fordham University Graduate School of Business Administration hosted the launch event to coincide with the New York stopover of the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race. Dean David Gautschi said “These are extraordinary times. This moment in history is akin to the events of the industrial revolution which will shape our world in the future on an economic, social and geopolitical dimension. What we are witnessing is the reordering of the world.”
The launch marked the formalization of The World Program with Fordham playing a significant role. The Forum - Business in the new world: the relevance of geo-politics, set the scene. Speaker John Tognino, Chairman, Fordham University Board of Trustees, and former Executive Vice President of Global Sales and Member Affairs, NASDAQ, commented:
"We are in a Global Marketplace and to regain a global environment of trust and upward momentum we must restore confidence among our citizens in all economies. To restore confidence we all need to start with a renewed commitment to the highest principles of integrity, ethical standards, leadership and practices at all levels."
Other presenters included Jonathan Story, Emeritus Professor of International Political Economy at INSEAD; Dominique Moisi, Senior Advisor, French Institute for International Relations; and General Peter Pace, USMC (Ret.), 16th Chairman of the United States Joint Chiefs of Staff.
David Gautschi, added: “In order for us to succeed as countries, companies or individuals we must seek to learn from the past, and open our doors to learn from each other. We have two choices; conflict or cooperation. In order to cooperate we must have cultural sensitivity and cultural sensitivity is the core premise The World Program. This program will integrate our future business leaders into the business cultures of the world’s growing markets.
“It has great significance to us at Fordham to be a partner of this great venture, a venture which is core to our current global outreach programme.”
Cultural awareness, leadership and an understanding of business practices in international markets have become key to success for businesses with an international footprint. As China, Asia and the other BRICS countries grow in importance in the world economy; corporations increasingly require their business leaders to have this acumen and empathy.
Photo caption: Fordham University Graduate School of Business Administration launches its partnership with The World Programme Pictured left to right: Andrew Greening, Clipper Greening Ventures, John Tognino and Dean David Gautschi of Fordham, Nigel Beacham, Clipper Greening Ventures.
Notes to Editors
Media enquiries, please contact Jonathan Levy, Director of Communications, Clipper Ventures Plc – email: jlevy(at)clipper-ventures(dot)com US Cell until June 10: +1 510 220 0158 UK Mobile: +44 7813 948385
More details at: http://www.theworldprogram.com
The World Program
- A ground breaking international talent development partnership bringing together leading business schools in China, America and the UK with talent development and resourcing organizations and a global leader in experiential events to deliver innovative executive development programs
- Delivered in the UK, The Americas and Asia, by Fordham University Graduate School of Business Administration, Peking University BIMBA, Ashridge Business School, London, and associated talent development professionals.
- Designed to promote an awareness of business practices in overseas markets thereby improving personal effectiveness and corporate performance.
- Combines the excitement of experiential learning with the intellectual rigor of business schools and talent development professionals on an international scale.
Why it’s relevant
- Cultural awareness, leadership and an understanding of business practices in international markets have become key to success for businesses with an international footprint. As China, Asia and the other BRIC countries grow in importance in the world economy, corporations increasingly require their business leaders to have this acumen and empathy.
- Acknowledging China and Asia’s growing economic importance, the World Program has engaged business and academic specialists from Peking Business School and China specialists from Ashridge and Fordham.
- ‘The World Program’ will typically provide performance and leadership development for organizations going through major change, which are often operating in fast moving sectors and across multiple geographies.
What are the details?
- Programs are delivered over the period of a year with 5 days in each of the 3 business schools.
- Programs are supported by a dedicated online learning resource which connects all course members throughout the year and beyond.
- Experiential learning on board ocean racing yachts will be delivered by Clipper Ventures, the marine events specialists who own and organize the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race and hospitality specialists, Clipper Events.
- “The World Program’’ will set new standards in talent development by adding modules delivered by innovative external facilitators, and by employing the latest assessment and personal development tools.
The World Program is an innovative executive talent development partnership which brings together leading
business schools, Ashridge (UK), Peking International MBA (China) and Fordham University Graduate School of
Business Administration (NYC). These are supported by a partnership of psychometric, consultancy, business
psychologists and experiential learning specialists to enhance executive and business performance and cross
cultural awareness in the world’s growth markets. Academic and business excellence is complemented by an
inspirational blend of experiential learning experiences where the lessons learnt whilst sailing aboard the
Clipper Round the World Yacht Race fleet and in military training academies are applied to a business context.
Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race
The Clipper 11-12 Round the World Yacht Race started on 31 July 2011 from Southampton on the UK’s south coast and will return to the city in July 2012 after 40,000 miles of ocean racing – the world’s longest ocean race. The event was established by Sir Robin Knox-Johnston to give everyone, regardless of sailing experience, the opportunity to participate in the exhilarating sport of ocean racing. Around 500 people representing more than 40 nations are competing in Clipper 11-12. They can sign up for the whole circumnavigation or one or more of eight legs. The only qualification for the race is the minimum age of 18 – there is no upper age limit. The overall race is divided into individual stages and points are accumulated in a Formula 1-style scoring system. The yacht with the highest total at the finish wins the Clipper Trophy.
About Clipper Ventures Plc
More than 40 years have gone by since Sir Robin Knox-Johnston's record breaking solo and non-stop circumnavigation in 1968-69. Now, as Chairman of Clipper Ventures Plc, he is at the forefront of promoting round the world yacht racing. Clipper Ventures, the marine events company founded in 1995, is focused on developing and promoting major events capable of attracting significant participation, income, media coverage and associated sponsorship revenue. Sir Robin founded the company on the premise that sailing should be made available to everyone, regardless of age or experience. Almost 4,000 people have now competed in the eight editions of the Clipper Race to date. The company also owns the rights to the VELUX 5 OCEANS race and runs successful Events and Training divisions.