Most home fires that happen are due to patio appliances not being properly inspected.
Waco, TX (PRWEB) June 11, 2012
Grills are the center for outdoor living during the warmer months, and are a great way to entertain guests during the weekends. When you prepare your home for the Spring and Summer months it is important to do a safety check and tune-up all the gear you’ll be using during the new season.
During the warmer season people tend to use their outdoor patios and living areas up to 20 times a month; therefore, the risk for accidents highly increases. Most home fires that happen are due to patio appliances not being properly inspected.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) in 2005-2009, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 8,200 home fires involving grills, hibachis or barbecues per year. These 8,200 fires caused an annual average of 15 civilian deaths, 120 civilian injuries and $75 million in direct property damage.
Here are some simple tips to make sure you are preventing a home fire:
- Check grill for safety hazards. Gas connections should be checked for leaks by applying a soapy water solution. When applied, bubbles will form if gas is escaping.
- Carefully clean out any particles, dust, and cobwebs that may have built up over the winter. Use a pipe cleaner or wire to ensure that the debris is removed correctly. Remove lava rocks and grates for a thorough cleaning with soap and warm water.
- Never use wood, charcoal briquettes, barbecue starter fluid or gasoline in conjunction with your propane or natural gas barbecue. Doing so is likely to result in a highly flammable situation.
- Barbecue in an open outdoor space for ventilation purposes and always keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Don’t allow an accumulation of grease to occur by keeping your grill and burners clean – this greatly reduces the chances of a grease fire.
- Never fight a grease fire with water – this will only cause the flames to flare up.
Following these important safety tips can ensure you an enjoyable, fire-free grilling season.
About Rainbow International®:
Established in 1980, Rainbow International is a global franchise organization providing residential and commercial restoration and cleaning services. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its “Franchise 500,” Rainbow International franchisees offer a broad range of damage restoration services (ranging from water, smoke and fire damage to carpet and upholstery cleaning and deodorization) to more than 330 locations worldwide. The new Rapid Structural Drying Network of Rainbow International has established a network of elite water loss mitigation franchises across the United States. Rainbow International is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit http://www.rainbowinternational.com.